I would like to tweak several Android behaviors (lock screen, DND, power-button). Is it possible?

A

AC Question

I am recent migrant to Android. I used to use a BlackBerry Z10 (BB10 OS) and *loved* it but my new company won't support it, so I am back to Android land for the first time since 2.x. My new device is a BlackBerry Priv. It runs Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) and uses (mostly) the stock UI with a few BBRY improvements around messaging and some other things.

I miss a few specific things about my BB10 experience, and hoping to re-create them on Android, if possible. Specifically:
1) Bedside mode. On BB10, there is a "bedside mode" that suppresses all notifications *except* telephone calls, and it ensures that the phone actually rings loudly. I can get close to this with Android's "do not disturb" function, but if I have my phone on vibrate (which I usually do), the ringer is still silenced (vibrate only) when in "do not disturb mode" - meaning that it won't wake me up when I am on-call unless I remember to crank up the volume before I go to bed.
--> Is there a way to replicate the BB10-style behavior on Android?

2) Lock screen. I actually really like the lock screen on both Android and BB10. On BB10, the lock screen is shown after waking up the display - even if the phone isn't locked. I would love to get this same behavior in Android. I have a 10-minute lockout on my phone, but if I wake the display with either power button or double-tap, I am returned to the previous view.
--> Is there a way to have the display wake-up view default to the lock screen, even if the phone isn't locked?

3) Power button. One thing I hate about the Priv (and this is *not* an Android problem - it is bad hardware design) is that the power button is along the left edge. This is a problem because when I holster the device, the power button can easily toggle and when I go to retrieve my phone, I find it asking for my boot password. Obviously, I can flip the orientation when holstered, but is there any way to *require* approval to shut down when the power button is held, unless it is held for a ludicrously long time like 60 seconds?

Thanks, everyone for taking the time. I appreciate it :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

1) Bedside mode. On BB10, there is a "bedside mode" that suppresses all notifications *except* telephone calls, and it ensures that the phone actually rings loudly. I can get close to this with Android's "do not disturb" function, but if I have my phone on vibrate (which I usually do), the ringer is still silenced (vibrate only) when in "do not disturb mode" - meaning that it won't wake me up when I am on-call unless I remember to crank up the volume before I go to bed.
--> Is there a way to replicate the BB10-style behavior on Android?

I think you'd have to use a 3rd party app for that. Try Seer.

Not sure about your other issues, sorry!

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
nothing you can do about the power button, and that was also one of the things that irked the hell out of me when i had my priv, and with my work holster i couldn't change the orientation of the phone. as for the bedside mode emulation, check out the crackberry forum, there is a post that someone posted about a way to almost emulate bedside mode. i never had the need for it since i got my priv after i quit the job i had that required me to be on call.

found the post on crackberry, heres the link - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-priv-f440/how-fake-bedside-mode-priv-1047904/ . i've never used this option myself, but it's probably what you're looking for.

Last edited: