Going from Droid to Blackberry Curve 8530

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Hello all!
I've been a longtime Droid user, and decided to try out a BB Curve 8530 for a few days. I'm making this thread to just give my insight on what the differences between the two mainly are, specifically from a Droid user (not necessarily just Android in general).

Ok, so first off, if you have a BB, just forget about web browsing. I mean, you can do it, it's just painful. Not only is the BB Curve 8530 considerably slower, the screen size REALLLLY makes a difference here. If switching is something you're considering, you really should ask yourself how important browsing is to you.

Moving on, one thing I really love about Blackberries is the physical call/end buttons. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I had them back. On occasion, I text/call while driving (only when I'm stopped at a light people- calm down- and I'm stopped a lot. Traffic in my city is insane). Even though the Droid is super fast at opening the phone dialpad-- having it be part of the touch interface just doesn't feel right to me-- even though I know that's where the future is headed.

As far as speed, they really are pretty equal. As a chronic phone switcher, I have tried a LOT of phones, and Blackberries are always faster performance-wise by a CLEAR MILE. The Droid is the only phone that has been able to measure up. So not a whole lot of difference between the two, speaking strictly of speed (when opening apps, opening menus, etc)

The keyboard is the real interesting thing here. For me, using the Droid's keyboard was fine for a few months. However, the more I used it, the more I craved a tactile clicky spacious keyboard. Also, constantly switching the phone from portrait to landscape was irritating to me. I like to view most of my info (SMS, Emails, Twitter feed, etc) in portrait mode since phones usually feel better in the hand that way. Having to turn it this way and that way to do different things was a big problem for me. I wish that Android were to take on a BB/Treo form factor because that phone would be unbeatable.

These are just a few of my initial thoughts-- I don't know which phone I will ultimately keep, but since I have the two currently, if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to oblige.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You can prevent the Droid's screen from rotating to landscape. Settings, Sound & display settings, Orientation (uncheck the Switch orientation when rotating phone box). ;)

If you want a Call and End button, get the Droid Eris, or wait for the Nexus One on Verizon. If you honestly think the 8530 is comparable to the Moto Droid in speed, then you should be happy with the Eris.

Last edited:

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Actually, the Droid is a wee bit slower. Just by virtue of being a touchscreen, the transitions are slower.

Any BB will be faster. I mean, if I click the GMail app icon on both my BB and the Droid, the Droid takes about 1-2 seconds to open it. The BB is instant, literally.

But not having the touch UI means giving up a lot too-- just not speed.