Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC Sense Port for BlackBerry Torch

    Well, obviously I'm a happy BlackBerry user currently (although I will admit the EVO 3D caught my eye), but one of the things I've seen on HTC Android phones is the HTC Sense. The fact is, I am wondering if it is possible to get this HTC Sense (with animated weather) on the BlackBerry Torch 9800 in any way. The reason for this is the animated weather.

    Due to a propietry setup, I cannot swap away from BlackBerry and am stuck with it. That and I bought my Torch a month ago and my mum demands I keep it for 2 years before changing again (cheers mum, if I'd known that I'd have signed a contract...)

    So, is there any way to do this? It would be a showstealer for me
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 04-18-2011 at 06:07 PM.
  2. #2  
    petaf's Avatar

    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts

    Default

    Uh oh, you might have to add a (secret) Android line
  3. #3  

    Default

    This is similar to dropping a Ferrari 599 engine into a Toyota Corolla. Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. But for the amount of money and time it would take, you could buy the Ferrari new and then some.

    All you can really do is buy an HTC Android phone to play with and not activate it. If your Blackberry can do tethering in infrastructure mode, you could even have WiFi access on your new HTC via your a BB tether app.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    This is similar to dropping a Ferrari 599 engine into a Toyota Corolla. Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. But for the amount of money and time it would take, you could buy the Ferrari new and then some.

    All you can really do is buy an HTC Android phone to play with and not activate it. If your Blackberry can do tethering in infrastructure mode, you could even have WiFi access on your new HTC via your a BB tether app.
    Thanks for the helpful response. Shame it isn't a possibility for me

    Since the PlayBook tablet is based on QNX, would a port be easier to be done on it?

    Also, tethering is not a possibility with only 500MB data a month (I'm with the infamous O2-UK that make VZW + AT&T combined look like money-saving options, you pay 5 for the data, and 7.50 to tether it, a month)
  5. #5  
    Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,327 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,485 Global Posts

    Default

    Hey Palad nice to see you here! A theme that simulates HTC Sense is as close as you'll get to having Sense on a Blackberry.

    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/ht...remium-534199/

    BeWeather will give you semi animated weather. Not quite the same as HTC weather widget, but close and a great app!
    http://software.crackberry.com/produ...3&section=Apps


    Tell Avt I said hey! I don't post over there anymore.
    Last edited by Chrisy; 04-18-2011 at 07:33 PM.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Thanks for the helpful response. Shame it isn't a possibility for me

    Since the PlayBook tablet is based on QNX, would a port be easier to be done on it?

    Also, tethering is not a possibility with only 500MB data a month (I'm with the infamous O2-UK that make VZW + AT&T combined look like money-saving options, you pay 5 for the data, and 7.50 to tether it, a month)
    The Playbook is only able to run Android apps via emulation - it doesn't actually have the Android OS on it, so getting Android with Sense would be an extremely difficult challenge. And with all the Android tablets that are around, there isn't much motivation for developers to take up such a challenge.

    If you're getting a tablet, why not get the HTC Flyer? It comes with Sense UI built in
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    The Playbook is only able to run Android apps via emulation - it doesn't actually have the Android OS on it, so getting Android with Sense would be an extremely difficult challenge. And with all the Android tablets that are around, there isn't much motivation for developers to take up such a challenge.

    If you're getting a tablet, why not get the HTC Flyer? It comes with Sense UI built in
    Yeah, the HTC Flyer was definitely one I was considering. I especially like the stylus with it. However there are other tabs I'm considering too, its main rival for my money being the dreaded PlayBook, of all tablets. Hopefully I can get the purchase OK'd. I'm planning to learn Android and BlackBerry development over the summer though so maybe it could be a personal challenge (I've already got a Flash game that I need to port to Adobe AIR for use in the PlayBook).

    Which brings me nicely to an off-topic question. That Flash app I have created, how easy would it be to port it to a format for Android?
  8. #8  

    Default

    Can't help you there unfortunately - I only have experience with ROM and kernel development. We do have an App Developer Forum here. If you ask nicely, perhaps one of them could help you

    Oh and hot off the presses: Wifi-only HTC Flyer gets UK price.
  9. #9  
    blweldon2's Avatar

    Posts
    166 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Android devices can download adobe air from the market, so any air applications will work on them.

    Sent from my Skyrocket.

Posting Permissions