Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By jnl813
  • 1 Post By akabadnews
  • 1 Post By Daniel Ratcliffe
  • 1 Post By Jude526
  • 1 Post By kpetrie77
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

Exclamation Android Blackberry

Quote me on this.........

Blackberry will switch their phones to run Android. I guarantee it! That would be awesome a BB Bold touch with Android 2.3 etc! I would be in line for this device!

And as bad as Blackberry is doing, they have no choice, but this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post

Blackberry will switch their phones to run Android. I guarantee it! That would be awesome a BB Bold touch with Android 2.3 etc! I would be in line for this device!

While OS is a big problem for RIM, the lack of hardware innovation with RIM is just as bad if not worse. They are stuck in a major rut all over, they need to snap out of it and switching to a different OS is barely half their battle.

-
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycinla View Post
    While OS is a big problem for RIM, the lack of hardware innovation with RIM is just as bad if not worse. They are stuck in a major rut all over, they need to snap out of it and switching to a different OS is barely half their battle.

-
    Agreed totally, but its not like BB would go to Microsoft or Apple ( ha!) They already have some integration with Android apps in their playbook, so it would make sense to jump ship to Android. But yes they need to step up their hardware innovation as well, and i think by them coming to the best OS(Android) this would help them with the hardware.

How so? A lot of Android's software requires certain type of hardware in order for it to run smoothly, meaning bigger memory, processor, front facing camera..etc..

BB would need to comeout with this following phone to make a splash again...

3.2 touch screen with qwerty keyboard ( no slider )
    Android 2.3 ( minimum)
    Front facing Camera ( at least 1 megapixel)
    5 mp rear camera- with dedicated camera button
    their fastest processor they have at least 1ghz
    Hdmi out
    and at least a 1800mh battery
    NMherron and alicklee like this.

You have to be an innovator to stay relevent in this business. RIM rested on their laurels just 24 short months, and BAMMO! All of their options at this point are going to be very painful. But they better get with it, quick.

It's hard for me to imagine them jumping ship to another OS. But a year ago, I never guessed Nokia would have either. They are going to have to do something. 12 more months of nothing, and they will be too far gone.

Moving to Android OS just makes them a hardware company. Doesn't seem to be RIM's style. But that would be better than folding shop and sending everyone out to get in the soup kitchen line.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

I imagine webOS would be more suited for a Blackberry phone.

And a better move for RIM and HP as well.

Android is useless for enterprise, which makes up most of RIM's customers.
    NMherron likes this.

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    ROM
    t879 rooted aws radio

Default Re: Android Blackberry

this is the reason why i am getting a nexus s and dumping my torch!
    that is what I am missing
    QUOTE=jesse813;1017030]Agreed totally, but its not like BB would go to Microsoft or Apple ( ha!) They already have some integration with Android apps in their playbook, so it would make sense to jump ship to Android. But yes they need to step up their hardware innovation as well, and i think by them coming to the best OS(Android) this would help them with the hardware.

How so? A lot of Android's software requires certain type of hardware in order for it to run smoothly, meaning bigger memory, processor, front facing camera..etc..

BB would need to comeout with this following phone to make a splash again...

3.2 touch screen with qwerty keyboard ( no slider )
    Android 2.3 ( minimum)
    Front facing Camera ( at least 1 megapixel)
    5 mp rear camera- with dedicated camera button
    their fastest processor they have at least 1ghz
    Hdmi out
    and at least a 1800mh battery[/QUOTE]

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post

I'd hope not... QNX, similar to the Playbook OS, would allow for Android EMULATION, which i'd be more than glad to have, however this creates security concerns.

For example, the webkit based browser in OS 6, was vulnerable at pwn2own because it was using open source code. Traditionally RIM is customizable, but very vague on what is published about its beating heart.

Now just imagine how many holes would appear with a large chunk of android mixed in..
    Torch 9810 7.1.0.258
    Playbook 32 GB 2.0.0.7971
    iPad 2 5.1 Sad without JB

If they went with Android they'd either have to shut shop with BBM, or make it available on all Androids. Similarly, they'd have to dump the RIM NOC which they use. Again, it ain't going to happen. BlackBerry acquire what they want in their phones. And Jim and Mike would rather die than go with something like Android. They'd have no way of being relevant then.
    Windows Phone Central Retired Moderator
    Android Central
    Visitor
    NMherron likes this.

I don't miss BB by any means. I am glad I made the switch to Android.
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    NMherron likes this.

I loved my Blackberry...back in 2007. And not much has changed. RIM used to run the smartphone world. Then they rested on their laurels. The world has just past them by. It might be too late for them in the long run.

I use a Sprint Evo for personal use, and a Verizon BB Bold 9650 for work. My work BB feels like a dinosaur. I do appreciate that it's a GSM/CDMA device. Very convenient for talking and e-mail. But that's it!

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Personally, I feel it is the form factor. Blackberry hardware was top notch because of the hardware keyboard. In a world of T9 candybar and flip phone devices, this was the pinnacle of hardware design and WOW it was great for us business users.

Here's the thing, as a salesman, if it does not help me be more (fill in the blank) then it is not a tool I want to use. I have since jumped on Android. Even since the G1 running Android 1.5, it gets the job done in so many ways the I never could with BB.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    Now: HTC ThunderBolt - T-Mobile G2 by HTC - Nexus 7
    Then: T-Mobile myTouch 3G 1.2 - T-Mobile G1 by HTC - T-Mobile Wing
    NMherron likes this.

I think that Blackberry will bring new stuff to the world, android is a good platform with many developers but RIM is rising again with their new devices right now while apple starting to fall a bit... i don't like the fact that Motorola are making fakes of the blackberry phones for example... blackberry is strong.

RIM made some mistakes - i agree, but it seems to me that they will keep being strong company, NOKIA also made mistakes even more then RIM but i also think that they will come back again.

I hope so!