Does anyone have a Blu Studio One Plus?

Alan Kaf

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Anyone got one of these yet? B&H and New Egg have some colors in stock, but no posted reviews so far.

Unlike the Vivo 5, these have LTE bands 12 & 17. Smaller footprint than the Vivo 5 or XL for a 5.5" screen.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Alan,

I don't have one, but it seems like a nice device for the price.

I'm also curious what people have to say about it.

zacman83

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Me three. This was briefly $100 (!) on Staples yesterday. People are saying it's comparable to the Blu Life One X which came out I think in December, except they manage to squeeze a 5.5" screen into the same or smaller sized body. Plus it's a metal-ish frame. Imma keep checking Staples to see if it comes back in stock. Seems like a worthy challenger to the Honor 5X.

Alan Kaf

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I caught that price as well and ordered one that will arrive on Monday.

I also tried two copies of the Blu Life One X and both had battery issues. When the indicated remaining battery level got down the 10%, it simply "crashed" loosing 1% per minute, and when it got to 3% or some, I had just seconds left.

It was tested by simply watching a video while looking at the battery indicator, and confirmed using Geekbench 3 battery testing function, with its documented log. All this after properly breaking in the battery.

This will be the first thing I do checking out the new phone. Unlike Amazon, which gave me 30 days to return the phones, Staples only offers a 14 day return policy. And we all know that Blu support is absolute crap!!!

al3ph

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Bought one yesterday. Not sure if I'm keeping yet or not. Depends on whether or not I can root it before my 30 days are up.

Build quality seems nice; it is a metal frame - very similar to HTC's One line. Most of the bloat is uninstallable, all but Opera and some Google stuff. Very slightly laggy, certainly no worse than my M8. Good LTE speeds on AT&T in Southern Nevada.

I was easily able to get in to stock recovery, but I may have killed it. Now I can only reach a factory test screen. ADB and FastBoot working fine though, so far.

Alan Kaf

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I received mine & immediately checked it out for the battery issues I found on two Blu Life One X's. The battery on this one was just fine.

The Good: Nice looking phone with good display.

The Bad:

1) The published dimensions & claimed 81% screen to body ratio is WRONG! Seems Blu can't even measure the size of their phones. It's larger than published. My measurements were 152.8mm tall (not 143.5 as published on their web site), 76.4mm wide (vs. 71.2), and about 8.5mm thick.

2) The LTE reception was poor on multiple bands compared to my cheap LG Sunset phone. You get about 1 bar lower signal strength. For me, this was a deal breaker.

3) While good news that the phone has 5GHz Wifi, the bad news is that reception is VERY POOR. The 2.4GHz band operated just fine, but the 5GHz degraded sensitivity meant unless you were in the same room as the router, it was unusable.

The size I could live with: basically the same size as all the other 5.5" display phones. The crappy 5GHz Wifi I could live with since the 2.4GHz worked just fine. But the crappy LTE reception was a deal breaker for me -- so the phone went back.

Basman999

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I received mine & immediately checked it out for the battery issues I found on two Blu Life One X's. The battery on this one was just fine.

The Good: Nice looking phone with good display.

The Bad:

1) The published dimensions & claimed 81% screen to body ratio is WRONG! Seems Blu can't even measure the size of their phones. It's larger than published. My measurements were 152.8mm tall (not 143.5 as published on their web site), 76.4mm wide (vs. 71.2), and about 8.5mm thick.

2) The LTE reception was poor on multiple bands compared to my cheap LG Sunset phone. You get about 1 bar lower signal strength. For me, this was a deal breaker.

3) While good news that the phone has 5GHz Wifi, the bad news is that reception is VERY POOR. The 2.4GHz band operated just fine, but the 5GHz degraded sensitivity meant unless you were in the same room as the router, it was unusable.

The size I could live with: basically the same size as all the other 5.5" display phones. The crappy 5GHz Wifi I could live with since the 2.4GHz worked just fine. But the crappy LTE reception was a deal breaker for me -- so the phone went back.

I have Worse reception than all of the phones I have used with Metro PCS so far. All the phones prior are$100 and under no name phones as well.
Smart phones are cool and do all kinds of stuff, but calling is the primary function, and should be its STRONG point, otherwise its just a small tablet. I was hoping others didnt have this issue, and this on was defective, and could be solved by a replacement phone.

mikaelwk1234

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have one Blu Studio One Plus, the phone is nice, but, i found a bug, sometimes it will not enter in deep sleep mode so u have to restart it, and when u turn of the screen the speed of processor goes to 1040mhz pushing so much battery. I wanna know if a can root this phone and how? With root i can found what is causing the wakelocks and slow down the processor speed when screen is off gettin a lot of more hours of battery. Thank you, and sorry for the bad english, im Brazillian.

I wanna know if a can root this phone and how?

al3ph

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I got root rather easily with the "Ringoroot" app. Then, uninstalled it and installed SuperSU and BusyBox. No custom recoveries however, unless you build your own.

I need to do more research into MTK before that'll happen for me.

Gadget Man1

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have one Blu Studio One Plus, the phone is nice, but, i found a bug, sometimes it will not enter in deep sleep mode so u have to restart it, and when u turn of the screen the speed of processor goes to 1040mhz pushing so much battery. I wanna know if a can root this phone and how? With root i can found what is causing the wakelocks and slow down the processor speed when screen is off gettin a lot of more hours of battery. Thank you, and sorry for the bad english, im Brazillian.

I wanna know if a can root this phone and how?

I notice this as well but I didn't want to root it so just downloaded an app (Battery Doctor) and that seems to solve that issue.

mikaelwk1234

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I got root rather easily with the "Ringoroot" app. Then, uninstalled it and installed SuperSU and BusyBox. No custom recoveries however, unless you build your own.

I need to do more research into MTK before that'll happen for me.

Could you tell me step-by-step how u root the Blu Studio One Plus? Thank you.

I notice this as well but I didn't want to root it so just downloaded an app (Battery Doctor) and that seems to solve that issue.

How this app fix that? What configuration do you used on it?

Last edited:

aleph23

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Pretty easy:

1. Download and install kingoroot app from here https://www.kingoapp.com/
  2. Download SuperSU and Busybox from the official Google Play store.
  3. Run the Kingo app and let it get root. Power cycle.
  4. Run SuperSU (it won't install properly at first -- Kingo Blocks it). Run and install Busybox. Power cycle.
  5. Uninstall the KingoRoot app (it's ad-ware; borderline malware) and it's accompanying Kingo SuperUser app. Power cycle again.
  6. Run SuperSU again. This time it should be able to install it's binaries just fine. Run and double-check Busybox too, while you're at it.

Now I just need to compile a custom recovery so I can make the modifications I want (Xposed, etc).

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Studio Plus One and am surprised to find that I can't find the Smart Gestures option.Is it simply left out of the software?
I like the double tap feature that my Energy 2 had,I also have a LG 3 and that has it as well.
Anybody has any answers?
I am planning to buy a Vivo 5 and am wondering if it has the Smart Gestures option?

selw0nk

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Pretty easy:

1. Download and install kingoroot app from here https://www.kingoapp.com/
  2. Download SuperSU and Busybox from the official Google Play store.
  3. Run the Kingo app and let it get root. Power cycle.
  4. Run SuperSU (it won't install properly at first -- Kingo Blocks it). Run and install Busybox. Power cycle.
  5. Uninstall the KingoRoot app (it's ad-ware; borderline malware) and it's accompanying Kingo SuperUser app. Power cycle again.
  6. Run SuperSU again. This time it should be able to install it's binaries just fine. Run and double-check Busybox too, while you're at it.

Now I just need to compile a custom recovery so I can make the modifications I want (Xposed, etc).

When you are finished compiling a custom recovery you should make a guide on the forums here later on.

Gadget Man1

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Could you tell me step-by-step how u root the Blu Studio One Plus? Thank you.

How this app fix that? What configuration do you used on it?
The battery use to drain down to 94% while idle off charger in 20-30 mins, now it's normal. I use the optimize option or the battery saver shortcut and ignore all the ads and prompts to download additional software. The app will pop up every so often to manually optimize the battery so I just consider this a temp fix until official update.

shaggydude

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I have rooted this device but i cannot unlock my bootloader. Whenever i try to unlock with the "fastboot oem unlock" command it asks me to choose yes with volume up or no with volume down. Volume down is the only thing that works. its like the boot loader is ignoring the volume up key alltogether. Please let me know if you are able to unlock your bootloader as i might have a working recovery.

selw0nk

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I have rooted this device but i cannot unlock my bootloader. Whenever i try to unlock with the "fastboot oem unlock" command it asks me to choose yes with volume up or no with volume down. Volume down is the only thing that works. its like the boot loader is ignoring the volume up key alltogether. Please let me know if you are able to unlock your bootloader as i might have a working recovery.

How did you root the phone? I would like to do it later in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa