BLU Studio X Plus shuts down automatically, then attempts to restart but boot locks until plugged in

dns464

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I got a refurbished, unlocked BLU Studio X Plus, running Android 5.0.2, just over 2 months ago (on Amazon, via Breed products; the 90-day warranty is still valid), and it was giving me quite satisfactory performance until a couple days ago. At that time, certain heavy-duty apps started triggering the phone to shut down. The phone would then attempt to restart but would boot lock (initial white "BLU: Bold Like Us" screen alternates with blank blackness) until I plugged it into its charger, at which point it would perform an uneventful - and very quick - boot. Operation is, for the most part, perfectly normal when plugged in, except that Gmail will trigger the phone to shut down. Boot lock also occurs when I try to start the unplugged phone from a powered-off state.

The list of heavy-duty apps started with Facebook and rapidly grew to include Messenger, Gmail, and the camera. I uninstalled Facebook, but this did little to alleviate the problem. The problem has gotten worse over time, and now, depending on the phone's mood, it may stand for maybe 30 seconds of Messenger, or may instead trigger when I try to use the email app or even open any app after I pull it off the charger. Interestingly enough, back when I first got the phone, attempt to use the camera would trigger a (successful) quick restart, but this problem disappeared in about a week.

I've speculated that maybe there is a software fix or I may just need to replace the battery, or I may need to take the phone to a repair shop or get a new one. I have no idea. Can someone who doesn't share my technological ignorance give me any suggestions?

Last edited:

dns464

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Update: As it turns out, the battery was causing the issue. I bought a new battery and have experienced no further problems.