help for low memory warning

RebeccaMI

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone since mid-May. It's my first Android phone and I love it. Recently I started getting low memory warnings on it every few days or so. Following some suggestions I read on this forum, here's what I've done so far:

• deleted text messages
  • filed mail from my Gmail inbox, so the inbox is now empty
  • deleted all but a few pictures that I rotate as my wallpaper
  • ordered a larger SD card from a seller on Amazon (waiting for it to come in the mail)
  • downloaded and installed Quick Settings app so I can see what's going on

I plan to move a few apps to the SD card when that comes, but I've looked under Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All and there aren't that many apps I have the option to move.

Other than the apps that come installed on the phone, I've added the following:

• Quick Settings
  • Carfax
  • Google Maps
  • Weather Channel
  • GasBuddy
  • Amazon
  • eBay
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Random Mahjong
  • Google+
  • RingDroid

(Gee, that list is longer than I thought.)

Short of deleting apps that I don't use super-frequently, is there anything I can do to improve memory usage? Quick Settings says I have only 13% free or 21.72MB.

Last edited:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone since mid-May. It's my first Android phone and I love it. Recently I started getting low memory warnings on it every few days or so. Following some suggestions I read on this forum, here's what I've done so far:

• deleted text messages
  • filed mail from my Gmail inbox, so the inbox is now empty
  • deleted all but a few pictures that I rotate as my wallpaper
  • ordered a larger SD card from a seller on Amazon (waiting for it to come in the mail)
  • downloaded and installed Quick Settings app so I can see what's going on

I plan to move a few apps to the SD card when that comes, but I've looked under Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All and there aren't that many apps I have the option to move.

Other than the apps that come installed on the phone, I've added the following:

• Quick Settings
  • Carfax
  • Google Maps
  • Weather Channel
  • GasBuddy
  • Amazon
  • eBay
  • Barcode Scanner
  • Random Mahjong
  • Google+
  • RingDroid

(Gee, that list is longer than I thought.)

Short of deleting apps that I don't use super-frequently, is there anything I can do to improve memory usage? Quick Settings says I have only 13% free or 21.72MB.

Obviously deleting apps would work as you said otherwise you could also look into Links2sd, I don't have a link handy but a quick search should get you on the right track.

RebeccaMI

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Obviously deleting apps would work as you said otherwise you could also look into Links2sd, I don't have a link handy but a quick search should get you on the right track.

I looked up the app. The information in the description says "for users with root access". How do I know if I have root access? (I'm guessing that if I have to ask whether I have it, I don't have it.)

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Open your task manager up the stock on that came with the phone. You'll have to add the widget to your screen. Under RAM do a level 2 clean up and see how it goes.

My guess is yours is having the same as my wifes phone. I finally figured it out. The EMAILS were all in the TRASH can which was full of attachments and what not. So the phone was storing it. I deleted the items in the trash and the phone went back to normal for her. She has not since had a problem and It no longer sync with the trashcan for Gmail just the Inbox. There are two Email programs on that phone. 1 is for just Gmail (google only) while the other one has a nicer interface look to it and will allow any email account to be added. I found the problem to be with the fancy email program with all the messages being in the trash can. It does not auto clear the trash it just keeps building. The SENT folder too will do the same thing. So combing the too and your phone runs out of memeory.
If you went in to Applications and click on EMAIL look how many MB it has, my guess yours is over 20MB and thus giving you the low memory.

Give that a shot.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Lance1955 has a good point regarding the email apps that may well help quite a bit. As for root you will find having it allows for much more options, espescially now that you guys have working Custom Recovery for this phone. Really both root and the CWM links should be stickied, I'm going to put a mail into a mod but who knows, noone seems to really care about this phone (at least on these forums).

What is root.

How to get root on the prevail.

If you plan on flashing a custom rom or want the ability to backup your entire device in a nandroid you should also consider installing custom recovery after root.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Can apps be moved to the SD card on this phone? I have a fiend who is considering this phone or the Replenish and I am trying to help him decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze