New to android forums please help!

BladeRyoshi

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Made a couple other posts but notice that no one has really updated these in some time. Looking for a simple way to root in a way that someone like me who is not android savy can follow. Also trying to figure out exactly what id be getting into since this is the first time ive been interested in going outside the stock capibilities of this phone. Do i need to change ROMS to get rid of bloatware ect? Its relitivly slow compared to my prior android phones and compared to my gf motorola atrix 2 (same 2.3.6 gingerbread but has the superuser option) this thing is crap. Wanna scrap the bloatware and obtain superuser rights so that i can control when/how my apps behave. Ive tried multiple task managers including the one preloaded.. but apps like telenav gps and maps operate in the background without need consuming valuable (and extreamly limited) resources. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Android Central Forums

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to install a custom rom to remove the bloatware, but you will get much better performance out of the rom i have listed below. I've rooted several phones with this one click root which works great, and the rom is much better than what is stock.. Makes it a brand new phone.

One Click Root ---- http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/346918-one-click-root.html

CTMod ROM There is one for boost mobile, and one for sprint so make sure you get the right one. ---- http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/432614-rom-ctmod-3-68-06-18-12-a.html

GAPPS ----- gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

BladeRyoshi

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
ive tried that OCR 3 dozen times exactly as the readme says and i get several messages about being read only files where on the youtube video it shows them installing (a bunch of numbers) ive got debugging on and no sd in.... it will say on the command prompt that i have root but when i go into the rootchecker it says that i dont.

Last edited:

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay did you unzip the file for the ocr before you tried to run it? They sometimes will cause you to get the read only errors because zipped files usually can't be modified or moved.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

BladeRyoshi

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
when i intially tried to open it, it gave me the option to "extract all" wich i did. deleted all the files and tried again with no change because i thought i may have done just that. been digging in the other forums and ppl say that the ocr is for the 2.3.5 :mad: damn samsung for making this harder than it needs to be (even tho the versions are entirely android thing lol) they should just make it so that we can choose what we want on our phones rather than filling it with crap no one uses in the first place

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
when i intially tried to open it, it gave me the option to "extract all" wich i did. deleted all the files and tried again with no change because i thought i may have done just that. been digging in the other forums and ppl say that the ocr is for the 2.3.5 :mad: damn samsung for making this harder than it needs to be (even tho the versions are entirely android thing lol) they should just make it so that we can choose what we want on our phones rather than filling it with crap no one uses in the first place

the prevail is a pain to root but we'll get it there. Are you on 2.2.2?

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
okay what you can try is another one click type.

All In One Flash Pack.7z

All the files you need will be in here. Download and unzip. There is a readme file in there. The file it says to download is already included in here. You just need to move it to your sd card. Don't unzip that one though. Just move it as is. I'll be on standby!

Last edited:

BladeRyoshi

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
i cant get that to work for me. downloaded both, but when i open the jzip to find the other one it doesnt show up here.. im gonna call this a day for the time being and come back to it tomm. this is quickly becoming much more complex than i ever intended. i apreciate all the help.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
i cant get that to work for me. downloaded both, but when i open the jzip to find the other one it doesnt show up here.. im gonna call this a day for the time being and come back to it tomm. this is quickly becoming much more complex than i ever intended. i apreciate all the help.

Okay man catch me tomorrow. I'll tell ya how to get it open and we'll get this thing done.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
okay so what you need to do is go to where the flash pack is and right click on it. About the third or forth option down says jzip. go down to that and it'll give you the option to unzip it.

BladeRyoshi

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Part of the problem there was that i couldnt find the flash file anywhere in the computer despite it saying that it had downloaded sucsessfuly. Im pretty good with windows, that file just wasnt there

BladeRyoshi

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
If they can make a truely OCR for the 2.3.6 ill go ahead and root. I think for the time being ill wait it out and play with the rooting thing again whenever i get a chance to go grab my lg optimus s and start playing with that with any luck ill learn a trick or two to help me with this one.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Odin, which is what is in that flash pack, works with all the versions. If you can't find the file in your downloads or temp, sometimes it's easier to just download something else to get it to re open the other window. The s and the v are much simpler ocr s when they work correctly, but the prep is pretty much the same as what were doing here