Can't un-root from OLD Interdepth "PreailToExistence" method?? Can't update from Froyo 2.2??

ral77

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Can't un-root from OLD Interdepth "PreailToExistence" method?? Can't update from Froyo 2.2??

Hi. My head is swimming from reading a zillion posts from a bunch of different places, I know there's prolly a very simple answer to my situation but I haven't been able to find it. Any help is appreciated.

Way back in July or so of 2011 I rooted my Prevail, using Interdepth's PrevailToExistence method that was based on KillingInTheNameOf. It has worked fine for me for a long time, no problems. Then Boost Mobile started rolling out their OTA updates to Gingerbread, which of course I wanted to update to. Unfortunately I was reading around and came across information (from either Hroark or ShabbyPenguin, I *believe* -- can't find the reference now, grrr..), saying that trying to do the Boost OTA upgrade wouldn't work once the phone had been rooted by the Interdepth PrevailToExistence method, and that at that time there wasn't a way to UN-root the phone. So I've been living with Froyo 2.2 for the last 9 months or so hitting the "No, I don't wanna update to 2.3 now" option on my phone when it gives me notice of available update four or five times a day, which is driving me nuts, not to mention that I just want to be able to update the phone.

Am I imagining this, about no way to unroot the phone at this point, or is there a way I can un-root it, OR even better, at this point in time is there now a way that I don't even have to necessarily un-root it in order to update to 2.3? I believe this wasn't such a problem with the OCR OneClicRoot that ShabbyPenguin put out at the end of October 2011, but as far as I know, for some reason it was a problem with the older PrevailToxistence method. I'm also not sure if the statement about not being able to update it just referred to not being able to update it via Boost's OTA update, or if it meant I also would not be able update by using ODIN to install a new ROM.

If anyone can clear this up for me, I'd be REALLY appreciative. I was gonna just go ahead and try to use ODIN to change to an updated ROM, but then thought, yanno, I'm going to be really freaked out if I brick my phone, maybe someone can tell me how I can proceed without just taking a stab in the dark at it. As I've mentioned, I'm under the impression that that early PrevailToExistence method of rooting did something that is different enough from later methods that the phone can't be un-rooted or updated. Someone please tell me I'm wrong!!

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, if there IS a right direction at this point...