Welcome to Android Central's Smartphone Buyer's Guide!

Daniel Bader

Managing Editor, Android Central
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi! You may have noticed that there have been a bunch of Best X posts in recent weeks — Best Verizon Phones, Best Android Phone Under $400, Best Rugged Phone — and wondered why none of them have comments enabled.

Those posts are part of our new AC Buyer's Guide, which launches today after hundreds of hours of work from the entire Android Central team.

This guide is for you — obviously— but it's also for your friends and family, people who aren't as familiar with the ever-changing Android phone ecosystem as perhaps you are. And I assume you are familiar, since you're here.

The reason we disabled comments on those posts is because they are what we call evergreen, constantly updated to reflect the latest and greatest devices on the market. To leave comments open would be to open up future you to comments from today that don't reflect the content on the page. As a result, we're going to be encouraging you to discuss the choices here, in this forum. Eventually, we'll have sub-forums for all of the various categories, but for now feel free to post something, to make suggestions, and to offer your own choices for the best phones in various categories. We promise to read each one, and to take them into account, though we can't promise they'll change our minds.

Here's why: We've been working overtime to find the right phones for each category, and feel that, as of today, we have the best and most accurate representation of the vast Android ecosystem. We stand by our recommendations, all of which were discussed at length amongst the AC team.

Of course, there are some caveats to to point out. Much of the buyer's guide content is geared towards the U.S. market, which makes up the majority of our audience but is by no means the only audience. In future iterations of the guide, we're going to be expanding our recommendations to include other regions and more categories.

And because this is our first go at it, there are going to be some bugs and inconsistencies. Please point those out when you see them, because they help us make the product better for you and the people in your lives.

That's it! Thanks for reading, and we hope to continue our buyer's guide discussion here in the forums.

-Daniel Bader

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for doing this, Android Central Team. I am actually in the market for a new phone and have decided to buy an unlocked device for the first time; so I know that this guide will be extremely helpful in aiding my decision.

Thanks again, and good luck!