Making the jump and looking for a phone

TiLoBrown

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
After years of holding out, I think I may finally come over to the Droid side. Knowing nothing about which phones are out or coming out I dont know which to look at. I'm looking for something thats unlocked; dual sim; and with a memory card slot. The less bloatware the better because I'm not sure if I'd want to root it. Also LOVE a big screen, but its not a must

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

You've come to the right place to ask your questions!

If you are looking for an unlocked device, you indeed have a myriad of options at your disposal. Have you considered online shopping for a phone? Newegg has a ton of sales and promotions going on; and Amazon has great stuff, too.

The Honor 8 (midrange, unlocked) does have a dual-SIM but you'd have to give up the memory card slot. And it's 5.2", so it's not as big as the other devices you can purchase.

If you do buy unlocked, you won't get the crazy bloatware that carriers give you! I bought my Honor 8 unlocked and I only have maybe one or two Rogers apps on it; whereas before, on other phones, I'd have at least 6-8. And never used them. So I certainly understand you wanting less bloat and more functionality!

If you are not looking to spend a large chunk of cash, "midrange phones (phones that are mid-tier in comparison to flagship specs; yet very often perform just as well as flagships and do have some flagship specifications)" could be a very worthwhile option for you. The OnePlus 3T is the best unlocked midrange phone out there, IMO, and it's 5.5" so it's a decent size. Looks like it only has one SIM slot, but here's a link for you to see if it meets your requirements: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...eplus.net%2Fca_en%2F3t%2Fspecs&token=ftRqMYBl

The Axon 7 is another good option if you want to go midrange.

If you want to get a flagship or close to it, the Moto Z Play is an interesting option with mods if you want to have a long-lasting battery, etc. If you really want a big screen, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is at a good price now.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reach out to us,

TiLoBrown

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the options, The Axon 7 was the front runner but then I saw that like the Honor 8, I'd lose my memory card if I want to run both sims at the same time. Any higher priced flagships where I wouldnt have to do this?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the options, The Axon 7 was the front runner but then I saw that like the Honor 8, I'd lose my memory card if I want to run both sims at the same time. Any higher priced flagships where I wouldnt have to do this?

The Honor 8 is amazing! Hmm, I would look at the Mate 9, or the Huawei P9 or P series - not sure if they are dual SIM but they are the flagship section of Huawei so I would look there!

sarahgad

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 for a long time now and i would recommend you to go for it. Reasons, it has a big screen, great resolution, fast and easy to use. I guess these are some of the essential points a phone should be having at the least. I am satisfied.
Best of luck for the purchase, hope you make a wise decision.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
After years of holding out, I think I may finally come over to the Droid side. Knowing nothing about which phones are out or coming out I dont know which to look at. I'm looking for something thats unlocked; dual sim; and with a memory card slot. The less bloatware the better because I'm not sure if I'd want to root it. Also LOVE a big screen, but its not a must

There are probably more Android devices out there than stars in the Sky haha :D If you looking for a device with minimal 'bloatware' i would recommend 2 brands. Google (Pixel XL - 5.5" inch, Nexus 6P) & Blackberry (DTEK60 - 5.5" Inch). There are other Options that @Morty2264 mentioned like the OnePlus 3T, while it doesn't have a Micro SD Card slot, its great value for money.

So yeah there are so many options lol. AndroidCentral did a nice article HERE which details all the best 'Dual Sim' smartphones.

Hopefully this helps with your decision :D

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for something thats unlocked; dual sim; and with a memory card slot.

I think there is a caveat here; almost every dual sim phone I can think of (granted it's not many...about 6), one of the sim card slots acts as the SD card slot. Meaning, you can either have 2 sims, or 1 sim and an SD.

TiLoBrown

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a caveat here; almost every dual sim phone I can think of (granted it's not many...about 6), one of the sim card slots acts as the SD card slot. Meaning, you can either have 2 sims, or 1 sim and an SD.

Yea, I'm finding that to be a problem. I may just keep my 950XL because I don't have to worry about the sim/SD problem and get a so so droid phone for the apps I'm going to need