Froyo upgrade for Rogers Captivate

andy957

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I saw via Twitter that the 2.2 Froyo update is available for the Rogers Captivate. I tried to start the process but immediately got the following error when trying to backup contacts: "Operation could not be completed because of an error". Helpful, eh?

I clicked Continue anyway and the files were downloaded from Samsung's web site via Kies (I also installed the Jan. 6 version of Kies, I hope that's the latest). After downloading the files, the Update tried to begin.

I got a pop-up message that the USB drivers for the phone had to be reinstalled since this was the first OS upgrade on my device, and I had to remove the battery, reinsert it, then hold down the Up/Down volume keys and Power key simultaneously to restart it. At this point I was nervous so I clicked Cancel.

My questions, therefore:
  • Does the upgrade process backup all apps downloaded from Market? If so, do they get automatically reinstalled at the end of the upgrade with all configurations as before?
  • Do all email accounts and settings get backed up and reinstalled as they were before beginning the upgrade?
  • Are general phone settings (ringers, colors, wallpaper, etc.) restored as they were before upgrade?

Would anyone here recommend running the upgrade now or waiting? Rogers Tech Support rep I spoke with said they have been having a lot of trouble, and that Samsung posts the upgrade then takes it down then posts it again, and Rogers themselves haven't successfully performed an upgrade.

yforgetaboutit

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I did the upgrade last weekend, but I don't remember enough details to faithfully answer all your questions.

The amount of 'missing things', if any, was miniscule. I don't remember having to reconfigure any of my 4 email accounts.

A few apps needed their cache cleaned to run smoothly; that was the only trouble I remember having post-upgrade.

I recommend the upgrade as it seems harmless, and allows a few more O/S V2.2+ games to be installed.

I didn't expect a perception in speed increase and I don't have any. I'm patient and don't want to use a OCLF.

andy957

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I did the upgrade last weekend, but I don't remember enough details to faithfully answer all your questions.

The amount of 'missing things', if any, was miniscule. I don't remember having to reconfigure any of my 4 email accounts.

A few apps needed their cache cleaned to run smoothly; that was the only trouble I remember having post-upgrade.

I recommend the upgrade as it seems harmless, and allows a few more O/S V2.2+ games to be installed.

I didn't expect a perception in speed increase and I don't have any. I'm patient and don't want to use a OCLF.

So the burning question is: did you follow the steps in the Samsung/Rogers PDF? At the end of the process did you have to reinstall your Marketplace Apps or did the upgrade process reinstall them for you? Did you use any third-party backup app before running the upgrade? All your email accounts and settings were restored, including non-Gmail accounts? This is what concerns me the most. Thanks.

3ntreri

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just did my update. Here's what I learned:

- Kies doesn't work on Windows 7 64-bit. The phone drivers don't install correctly and Kies will not recognize the phone. I tried running it in XP Mode (virtual machine) but it still didn't work. Instead I had to dig up an old Vista laptop to run the upgrade

- Kies won't detect your phone if your default launcher isn't TwLauncher. I had to turn off LauncherPro in order to get the firmware-update usb mode to stick.

- There's a scary Windows error message ("MSC.Thunder.FirwareUpdate has stopped responding") that you can patch by downloading an additional .zip file: http://pages.samsung.com/ca/froyo/English/MSC.Thunder.FirmwareUpdate.Common.zip

- You'll need to update Home Switcher when you're done cause the old one doesn't work on Froyo

- There's a firmware update for the camera in the Samsung App market. Run it, let the firmware update, then uninstall the app (you won't need it again as it has done its job).

Hope this saves you some time!

- Dave

3ntreri

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So the burning question is: did you follow the steps in the Samsung/Rogers PDF?
Yes

At the end of the process did you have to reinstall your Marketplace Apps or did the upgrade process reinstall them for you?
All of my previously installed apps were still present, I didn't have to reinstall/update any of them.

Did you use any third-party backup app before running the upgrade?
No, Kies backs up your contacts when it does the update, though they're already synced with Google so its kinda redundant.

All your email accounts and settings were restored, including non-Gmail accounts?
My corporate Exchange account was gone, I had to set that up again.

This is what concerns me the most. Thanks.
y/w :p

3ntreri

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
After a day of use all i have to say is HOLY BATTERY LIFE IMPROVEMENT! :D

I'm usually lucky to get more than 12hrs out of a charge, but after 13hrs of moderately heavy use (GPS, Flash, PowerAmp, Allshare, NFS Shift, MiniGore) I still have 66% remaining. I wasn't expecting this at all, but I'm pleasantly surprised!

yforgetaboutit

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So the burning question is: did you follow the steps in the Samsung/Rogers PDF? At the end of the process did you have to reinstall your Marketplace Apps or did the upgrade process reinstall them for you? Did you use any third-party backup app before running the upgrade? All your email accounts and settings were restored, including non-Gmail accounts? This is what concerns me the most. Thanks.

New Market version appeared by itself without me doing anything explicit.

Paul S#AC

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just did my update. Here's what I learned:

- Kies doesn't work on Windows 7 64-bit. The phone drivers don't install correctly and Kies will not recognize the phone. I tried running it in XP Mode (virtual machine) but it still didn't work. Instead I had to dig up an old Vista laptop to run the upgrade

- Dave

I tried with a vista machine and Kies would not connect to the device and I called Samsung and he suggested it could be a USB port power issue and told me to try a different computer so I tried Win 7 and it worked fine from there for me.

BERN-ie5

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw via Twitter that the 2.2 Froyo update is available for the Rogers Captivate. I tried to start the process but immediately got the following error when trying to backup contacts: "Operation could not be completed because of an error". Helpful, eh?

I clicked Continue anyway and the files were downloaded from Samsung's web site via Kies (I also installed the Jan. 6 version of Kies, I hope that's the latest). After downloading the files, the Update tried to begin.

I got a pop-up message that the USB drivers for the phone had to be reinstalled since this was the first OS upgrade on my device, and I had to remove the battery, reinsert it, then hold down the Up/Down volume keys and Power key simultaneously to restart it. At this point I was nervous so I clicked Cancel.

My questions, therefore:
  • Does the upgrade process backup all apps downloaded from Market? If so, do they get automatically reinstalled at the end of the upgrade with all configurations as before?
  • Do all email accounts and settings get backed up and reinstalled as they were before beginning the upgrade?
  • Are general phone settings (ringers, colors, wallpaper, etc.) restored as they were before upgrade?

Would anyone here recommend running the upgrade now or waiting? Rogers Tech Support rep I spoke with said they have been having a lot of trouble, and that Samsung posts the upgrade then takes it down then posts it again, and Rogers themselves haven't successfully performed an upgrade.
I went to Rogers in late January & they said it would it cost me $30 I tried doing the 2.2 myself a hundred times over & kept getting the same errors as you. So I went back to Rogers just this March 29th & they did it for FREE. No problems - phone is running smoother/faster -no apps, email, or contacts were lost. Only thing was the apps were re-arranged alphabetically and the battery seems to die just a "LITTLE" quicker.

anon(276904)

Apr 13, 2011
www.mobileattack.com
I'm *STILL* trying to find out about restoring apps and email accounts and settings, etc. Can someone please comment on that?

Best thing to do would be to get titanium backup from the market, free version will do. You can backup your apps and app data and restore them after an update or rom flash. Works awesome. Do a youtube search on how to use titanium backup.

Sent from my samsung captivate
Rom - Cognition 4.3

BERN-ie5

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I had all those problems. Simply take it in to Rogers - they'll do it for free and you wont lose anything. I did on Feb 15 th and eveything is fine, battery, speed, smooth scrolling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12