Froyo upgrade for Rogers Captivate
I saw via Twitter that the 2.2 Froyo update is available for the Rogers Captivate. I tried to start the process but immediately got the following error when trying to backup contacts: "Operation could not be completed because of an error". Helpful, eh?
I clicked Continue anyway and the files were downloaded from Samsung's web site via Kies (I also installed the Jan. 6 version of Kies, I hope that's the latest). After downloading the files, the Update tried to begin.
I got a pop-up message that the USB drivers for the phone had to be reinstalled since this was the first OS upgrade on my device, and I had to remove the battery, reinsert it, then hold down the Up/Down volume keys and Power key simultaneously to restart it. At this point I was nervous so I clicked Cancel.
My questions, therefore:
- Does the upgrade process backup all apps downloaded from Market? If so, do they get automatically reinstalled at the end of the upgrade with all configurations as before?
- Do all email accounts and settings get backed up and reinstalled as they were before beginning the upgrade?
- Are general phone settings (ringers, colors, wallpaper, etc.) restored as they were before upgrade?
Would anyone here recommend running the upgrade now or waiting? Rogers Tech Support rep I spoke with said they have been having a lot of trouble, and that Samsung posts the upgrade then takes it down then posts it again, and Rogers themselves haven't successfully performed an upgrade.
- 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM #2
I did the upgrade last weekend, but I don't remember enough details to faithfully answer all your questions.
The amount of 'missing things', if any, was miniscule. I don't remember having to reconfigure any of my 4 email accounts.
A few apps needed their cache cleaned to run smoothly; that was the only trouble I remember having post-upgrade.
I recommend the upgrade as it seems harmless, and allows a few more O/S V2.2+ games to be installed.
I didn't expect a perception in speed increase and I don't have any. I'm patient and don't want to use a OCLF.
- 01-15-2011, 12:33 AM #4
Just did my update. Here's what I learned:
- Kies doesn't work on Windows 7 64-bit. The phone drivers don't install correctly and Kies will not recognize the phone. I tried running it in XP Mode (virtual machine) but it still didn't work. Instead I had to dig up an old Vista laptop to run the upgrade
- Kies won't detect your phone if your default launcher isn't TwLauncher. I had to turn off LauncherPro in order to get the firmware-update usb mode to stick.
- There's a scary Windows error message ("MSC.Thunder.FirwareUpdate has stopped responding") that you can patch by downloading an additional .zip file: http://pages.samsung.com/ca/froyo/En...ate.Common.zip
- You'll need to update Home Switcher when you're done cause the old one doesn't work on Froyo
- There's a firmware update for the camera in the Samsung App market. Run it, let the firmware update, then uninstall the app (you won't need it again as it has done its job).
Hope this saves you some time!
- 01-15-2011, 12:38 AM #6
- 01-15-2011, 10:55 PM #7
After a day of use all i have to say is HOLY BATTERY LIFE IMPROVEMENT!
I'm usually lucky to get more than 12hrs out of a charge, but after 13hrs of moderately heavy use (GPS, Flash, PowerAmp, Allshare, NFS Shift, MiniGore) I still have 66% remaining. I wasn't expecting this at all, but I'm pleasantly surprised!
- 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM #8
- 01-16-2011, 10:29 AM #9
- 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM #10
- 03-23-2011, 12:10 AM #11
- 04-02-2011, 09:55 AM #12
- 9 Posts
- 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM #13
- 3 Posts
- Cognition 4.3
Sent from my samsung captivate
Rom - Cognition 4.3
- 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM #14