Speed class for microSDHC card?

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but FOR THE CAPTIVATE, or other GalaxyS phones, what is the maximum speed SHDC card that the phone can really take advantage of?

I'm planning to start it out with a 16GB card so there's lot of choice out there. But I do need to use my phone as a backup device for a large number of files (+8GB) and being able to update those files in, say, ten minutes versus 20 means a lot to me.

Is the phone itself going to transfer data at higher speeds than Class4 if the card supports them? Or, just where does the phone itself max out? If I splurge on a Class10, will the phone actually transfer data that quickly?

And I notice that the cellco's all say the phone will work up to 32GB SDHC, but the manual says that it only has been tested to 16GB. Are they both right?

[Later]
I got through to Samsung's ace tech support in Richardson Texas, although, they accents didn't sound very Texican. When I asked about SPEED the first rep said "32GB" after she researched it. I said that's SIZE I asked about SPEED and she said oh, a 3-rd level special tech support group would have to tell me that, hold on a minute please. Then she connected me to accessory sales, who can't transfer calls to anyone else.
The next tech eventually conceded that he couldn't escalate the call until he pesonally researched it...and came back certain that the phone supports a max speed of Class4. Maximum, for sure.

But if anyone has a reality check for that...I'd sure appreciate it. I don't feel like I was speaking to pros.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Class 10 speed on micro sd anyone?

Currently have a Sandisk 8GB class 4 and running out of room. I want to upgrade to the 16GB micro and was wondering if anyone has used Kingston? And does anyone have their class 10 16GB micro sd?

I have a 16 GB Sandisk class 2 but it took almost 30 minutes to transfer my stuff over too so I will probably not even use it.

Last question. Can the captivate even handle the class 10 speed based on the above threads. Looks like class 6 may work but what about class 10?

Thanks to anyone who can chime in!

RDI

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I have Class 10 16GB microSD

I have Class 10 16GB microSD running on my Captivate.
Works great. I am looking for a good (Free) program to test
its' speed.
I got it before Xmas when I got tired of waiting for
data transfers. I looked at getting a 32 GB but even
getting it from a friend at the Factory, the class 10 - 32 GB
was too much. It will come down...

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I actually have a class 10 32GB Patriot card ordered and on it's way, should arrive by Tuesday next week. It will be replacing a Sandisk 8GB class 4 card. I'll be happy to report speeds if I can find a decent/safe free card tester.

I figure even if the Captivate can't go at full speed, at least using the sd adapter my computer can take advantage of the higher speed to load the card up with music/video and other initial content.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Just used J Bench Mark 1.0 from the android market (the one that doesn't require internet access) and got the following results on the Sandisk Class 4 8GB card:

Write Performance: 2.42 MB/s
Read Performance: 5.08 MB/s

Internal Storage:

Write Performance: 0.08 MB/s
Read Performance: 3.75 MB/s

pac0naut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I just got an 8GB class 2. It works fine for playing mp3's, but the media scan is ultra slow. It depends what you're using it for.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So finally got to test out my Patriot 32GB Class 10 microSD card with some big files (been really busy and not able to play around much).

A basic file copy using a USB adapter on my Linux workstation reported a solid 15+MB/s write speed. I didn't get a chance to test read speed. I was trying to copy a 9GB file to the card which failed twice at 4GB copied before I remembered the 4GB max filesize limitation of FAT32 (vFAT).

Anyways, very impressed with the write speed and the read speed seems to be equal (based on just feel from 3 months worth of use).

So a nice relatively inexpensive 32GB class 10 card.