OtterBox Cases for Captivate

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So does anyone out there have an Otterbox case for there captivate? There are 2 styles out there, both look pretty beefy! Question, are they pretty beefy? like too beefy? and post some pics if you can, there are no close up shots out there...

Thanks

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Otterbox makes top-of-the-line cases. I had their soft rubber one on my Nokia e71. I'm happy with the body glove I've got for the Captivate, but if I didn't have one I would get an otterbox.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I had their commuter for my 9700, AWESOME.

Top of the line products they are. Only thing is... I hope they consider that bottom row of keys on our phone..it is VERY close to the point of where it curves. And the prototype pictures shows the rubber being WAY too close to be able to use our 4 buttons easily.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I always used the Defender case for my iPhones, and swear by them! I'm anxiously waiting the release of one for my Cappy.

lewisb13

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I called them yesterday and I asked them what "coming soon" meant. And the lady on the phone wouldnt even give me a clue as to whether that meant 6 months or 6 weeks or 6 days. Boooo.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
For you folks that have used the OtterBox cases, I'm assuming that they're the soft silicone/rubber compound? I'm using a cheapo case made of that, and sometimes have trouble getting it in and out of my pocket.

Any first-hand reviews of the new ones for the Captivate much appreciated.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For you folks that have used the OtterBox cases, I'm assuming that they're the soft silicone/rubber compound? I'm using a cheapo case made of that, and sometimes have trouble getting it in and out of my pocket.

According to s2h2golf in post #2 this case is not out yet. I'm going to move this thread to the accessories sub-forum so members can find it and post their reviews when it is released.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Starting to lose patience regarding the release of their other cases...one would think they would want to take advantage of the upcoming holiday season.

Do appreciate that 10% off code! Hope it's still valid once they decide to pull the trigger on the other ones.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

I know its a bit late, but it seems nobody answered the first question.

The Defender series case is a snap-together hard plastic shell with integrated screen protector. Then, a silicon rubber jacket is installed over that. This is not a case you'll be taking your phone in and out of easily, but you could damn near through it against a wall without damage. I SWORE by the Otterbox in my iPhone days.

I'm waiting on the Cappy case right now, but so far all the OB Defender cases I've seen are the same. One recommendation though, is to use the AT&T screen protector under the OB case, or that built in screen protector tends to stick to the screen and look weird.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
My review of the Commuter case.

First off, I wanted something sleek that also looked good while providing maximum protection. From the photos on the website, it looked like part of the case of was hard plastic while the other part was silicone or flexible rubber. The website stated 2 layers of protection. I assumed the skeleton of the case would be plastic while the corners would be rubber/silicone. I have never seen the Commuter case for any phone in the store (always see the Defender case).

I was wrong - the first layer of the case is silicone and then you have to snap the plastic case over the silicone layer and around the phone, somehow flexing the case enough to go over the buttons that are now encased in silicone and sticking out so far that the phone went into shutdown mode. The outer shell looks cheap and has no real texture to it. The case, once completely on, is fairly thick - not nearly as sleek as I expected. This is a case that once you put it one, you do not want to take it back off. I will probably keep it since I need the protection when I am traveling, but most of the time it will be off and in the drawer of my desk. I was a little more than disappointed with it.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Any chance of getting some quick pics of it....?

I'm not sure I would mind the Bulk (since the Commuter is obviously thinner then the Defender). But one concern I did have was how tight the silicone is...from the few vids I did see of the Commuter (on different phones), it looked as though the sides would work lose after a while.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The case is at home - I'll try to get a pic of it on a light background so it can be seen easier.

The silicone layer is very thin and floppy. Once you get it over the phone, it is pretty tight - once the plastic layer is on, there is no room for it to work loose. The only part of the phone where the silicone is visible is the top and bottom (and buttons) - the rest is covered by the plastic layer.

I honestly thought the plastic layer would be the inside layer (exoskeleton), like the Defender case, with a harder, rubber/silicone type material going over the plastic layer. The pics of the back looked like the part that goes over the battery cover was textured rubber. That would have been perfect for my tastes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7