Seido Cases any good??

jpinks

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has this Seido Active X case. It looks the closest thing I can find to a Otterbox. I cant believe its what 4 months out and no Otterbox (Defender) for it. The pics on the website arent that encouraging. Does it have a built in screen cover like the Otterbox? Does it have the inner case or is it just a another body glove clone only thicker?

toadfacedfrump

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
A little late for you, but I got my Active X yesterday. I like it a lot, but it does not include screen protection. I don't think OtterBox has one with built in screen protection yet either. The Active X case is very well made and fits in my smallish hands great. It adds very little bulk to the phone, just enough heft to let you know it's there and make you feel safer. However, as you noted, no screen protection means a drop or bump to the screen could be problematic. But everything else is very well protected. The hard exoskeleton also has a nice rubberized coating, so accidentally dropping the phone should not be an issue. But with that being said, it is still just a tad slippery. However, it is not as slippery as the Body Glove soft case I replaced for the Seidio (the ones you see in the AT&T store - I bought mine cheaper on ebay). The Body Glove case was way too slippery for me for some odd reason, and I did accidentally drop my beloved Captivate once due to just that. The Active X is also thicker, and the comforting heft I mentioned earlier gives confidence that if the phone is dropped it will absorb the shock and protect the phone - I did not have that confidence with the much thinner and harder Body Glove soft case.

The Active X also has a raised edge around the Captivate's entire screen that extends very slightly onto/over the screen , which I believe is a good thing (the Body Glove was almost perfectly flush with the phone's lines, adding no protection for the screen at all). Some may have an issue with this raised edge because it does kind of get in the way of some common gestures, but I like it because it adds another level of protection for the screen if the phone is dropped, IMHO. Also, I like the fact that there are no cut outs except for the front earpiece/light sensors, charging port and headphone jack. That is 2 fewer holes on both sides for dust and grit to worm its way into the case and possibly scratch the phone.

I'm still looking for a Captivate case like the OtterBox Defender I bought for my iPod Touch. Nearly the same design and OtterBox can't get it done for the Captivate? Hmmm? Maybe Seidio will take that step? But all in all, add an AT&T Captivate screen protector and the Seidio Active X is a great protective case to 'settle' for if you buy it online at a lower price than the AT&T store - and it looks pretty stylish too!!

toadfacedfrump

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to mention in my above review that there are 2 cutouts on the back of the case as well, of course, for the camera and excellent speaker. Sorry I overlooked that.

And Smitty giving them a thumbs up for his D2 is very impressive. I had never heard of Seidio until I was searching for a Captivate case, but their products are excellent quality. Now if they will just design and build one with a built in screen membrane such as the OB Defender for iPod Touch's, they could corner the market for touchscreen cell phones in no time flat.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing I like about seidio that they are modular in the amount of protection you need. For the rugged case for they start with the surface, add a silicone membrane, and then the additional skeleton to hold it together. Makes it nice when you have different need for protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12