Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will magnet mount effect phone, navigation or compass?

I was looking at this magnetic mount for the car. Cleaver idea, seems like I could slip the metal plate in the back of my case between the phone and the case. Perhaps also a piece of paper to prevent scratches. The thing I'm concerned about is if the magnet will effect navigation especially the compass? I guess it probably uses the GPS more than the compass. Seems to get good reviews and I didn't see anyone complaining about the magnet.

Amazon.com: iMagnet Cradle-less Magnetic Mount with Quick-snap Technology, Smartphone Car Windshield Dashboard Universal Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories

Global Posts
    19,253 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Will magnet mount effect phone, navigation or compass?

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    I was looking at this magnetic mount for the car. Cleaver idea, seems like I could slip the metal plate in the back of my case between the phone and the case. Perhaps also a piece of paper to prevent scratches. The thing I'm concerned about is if the magnet will effect navigation especially the compass? I guess it probably uses the GPS more than the compass. Seems to get good reviews and I didn't see anyone complaining about the magnet.

Amazon.com: iMagnet Cradle-less Magnetic Mount with Quick-snap Technology, Smartphone Car Windshield Dashboard Universal Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
    Better yet, will the magnet wipe your phone?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Better yet, will the magnet wipe your phone?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    Shouldn't wipe the phone unless uses a hard drive. One reviewer in Amazon said he ruined his original iPod the one with the small hard drive in it with it. But with all those positive reviews I doubt it would wipe a phone. I might interfere with NFC and wireless charging though. Ideally I would like a dock with both magnets to hold it in place and wireless charging. Palm had a wireless charger with magnets though it didn't sound like the magnets were strong enough to hold it vertically, just strong enough to keep it from sliding off the charger.

The manufacturers of these products are accounting for magnet interference.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

You already have your answer. The compass would be effected, but the GPS would not care. Unless you use an app that shows your heading from the compass, don't worry about it. My car dock app does, but I rarely look at it as I usually have the GPS or music app on anyway.