Trident Kraken II or Otterbox Defender?

fireguy116#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to decide between the Trident Kraken II or the otterbox defender for my droid charge. Both are hopefully going to be available sometime soon. I was looking for some input on which everyone thought was the better case. I have had otterboxes before, but the kraken II looks like a good protective case esp with some of the other features it comes with. I like the fact that it has a kickstand and comes in different colors. What are everyones thoughts?

SCSportsman

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar quandary. Throw the Seido Surface in as an option too.

Personally I need the holster more than the kickstand, but I'd like opinions on the cases overall. Also, do any of them allow for inductive charging? I went through several BBs due to USB ports wearing out and I'd like to avoid on the Charge if possible.

gattaka451

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too sure about the Surface. I've never had one or known anyone who does, but the product details don't lend much to it being more than something you can get off ebay for a couple dollars. It looks like the holster and being thin are the only 2 things it offers, but for the price, I wouldn't dare touch it.

- Sleek case that provides scratch protection without adding much bulk
- Precision cutouts for access to the ports, controls, speakers and camera
- Unique snap-together design makes putting on and removing your case easy
- Felt lining on the inside protects your case while in use

Maybe they are just bad at marketing? Those "features" are stock features of just about any case.

SCSportsman

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just found a link to a review of the Surface: REVIEW

Definitely not as much protection as the others, but I like the holster. Looks like the holster on the Trident is pretty cheap and not what I'm looking for.

I loved the OB Defender on my old BB Tour, but I'm worried it is gonna make the Charge huge.

Smittynsc

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
The kraken is great except the kickstand should have mounted to flip the other direction...most things support four way rotation but not all making the kickstand not work with all apps....most protective case I have ever owned though

Smitty

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
They made the kickstand like that so you can charge the phone. If you do not need a holster check out the Cyclops. I own both the Cyclops and the Kraken II and they Cyclops is the better of the 2.

Smittynsc

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I checked out the cyclops but the rubberized outside immediately turned me off. I sometimes don't use a holster and have had previous silicone or rubber cases that pull everything out of your pocket when you retrieve your phone.

Smitty

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Its really not as bad as you would think. I hate cases with the silicone on the outside but its only around the rim of the phone. None on the front or back so it does slide in and out of pockets easier then you would think.

gattaka451

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok so far I'm liking the Kraken 2. I've somehow managed to drop my phone at least 5 times from about 4-5 feet and the case has held up fantastic. It is a little on the big side, but I have big hands and actually welcomed the thought of being able to hold the phone and it feeling comfortable. The downside is being able to drag the top of the screen down, but I quickly found out for me it's about how fast I try to pull down the bar and have remedied that. I have the most problems with letters on the side if I try to text in portrait, but have no problems in landscape.

The glaring downside is the holster. The pro is that it fits snug, but the downside is the rubber and plastic fight each other. Maybe it's because it's still new for me and only time will tell if that gets easier to take the phone in and out. The biggest downside about the holster I noticed is the clip. It's all plastic. I was thinking there might be a springed hinge, but sadly there isn't one. I would say at it's widest opening, you have less than 1/4th of an inch to get it on your belt and take it off. Kind of a pain.

Overall I would rate the actual case though a 8.5/10 and would give the holster a 3/10.

gattaka451

May 26, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, I emailed them about the holster being shoddy. They emailed me back and asked me to call them. When I did, the lady was super awesome and is shipping me a new holster. Granted it's still probably going to be made of the cheap plastic, but that will do me for another 2 weeks.

wayneis

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I happen to have both the defender and the Kraken II, the Kraken II is a much better case. The Defender doesn't fit together tight and it doesn't have near the protection that the Kraken II does. They both add size to the phone but like others have said, you can drop your phone and not worry about it breaking.

rmarcus929

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
my 2 cents. I just ordered the Kracken II. Neat colors available. Holster sucks. With my Dinc2 I need to keep the original cover since it has the antenna built in. kracken does that better. With the extended battery I was able to modify the back case to except the extended battery cover (with a dremil). I can also use it without the back otterbox case and it fit even better. You just can't put the phone into the holster facing out because of the added width. Big difference is with the Kracken you've got a hard outer surface and with the otterbox it's a rubber outer surface. My thought is upon impact the soft will probably obsorb more impact. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and it's better then going (phone) naked. I don't make a habit of dropping my phone (1 1/2 years), but I don't want it to be unprotected WHEN it happens. I'm going to give the Kracken II a field test and compare. I don't use either holster since my work requires me to have a special holster that fits a 4 inch belt. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20