extended Battery

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Totally depends on your needs and usage. If you can get through a full day with the stock battery, as many people report, I see no reason to bother. If you use your phone heavily and simply can't have it dying on you, the extended battery may be your best option if you can't make it otherwise. Personally, I hate extra bulk on a phone, and would try all the software tweaks, battery conditioning, etc I could to see if I could make it without the thick battery if I wasn't making it otherwise.

Keep in mind though that even the people with the shortest life still seem to get better than the T-Bolt, and there's already a stock size hi-cap battery for that phone. I would expect we'll see the same for the Charge pretty soon, which would likely give you just that extra bit of capacity needed to get through the whole day without adding any bloat.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you think it worth it to get the extended battery? 2,600mAh Extended Lithium-Ion battery, but makes the phone more bulky.

One thing to consider is if you get the desktop cradle it comes with a standard battery. If you find the battery is not making it thru the day you can put in the spare.

mrblahblah

May 5, 2011
Visit site
One thing to consider is if you get the desktop cradle it comes with a standard battery. If you find the battery is not making it thru the day you can put in the spare.

That is true, but it is a pain to keep an extra battery with me, and have to pop out my battery and then replace it.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

Took the words right out of my mouth ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
So once we figure out this phone, we will be able to condition it pretty well and save on the battery.

Well just using it for a few weeks, letting it run down and charging it all the way up each time should condition it pretty well and your battery life will improve a bit. That's how most devices are, anyway. There are a number of apps already that can save battery life by suspending or killing un-needed running apps, optimize radio usage, screen brightness, update frequency for various apps/widgets, etc. and there will be more in the near future that are device-specific to the Charge. I would also expect battery life on LTE to improve immensely as VZW continues to strengthen and optimize the 4G network, as it still seems to be in a somewhat beta-state at this time.

If you're willing to root your phone, custom ROM's will be coming that will allow you to improve battery life immensely by removing TouchWiz and replacing it with the stock or another streamlined launcher, changing the filesystem from RFS to EXT4, removing excess apps, as well as optimizing a number of system features. Expect even greater life and more speed once the custom kernels start to come out.

Bottom line: there are a number of reasons to expect your battery life to improve dramatically over the next few weeks/months, and even more if you're willing to root. So if you're just barely making it now, you should see that start to improve and I'd save my money if I were you. But, if you do need a bigger battery or that's just what you want, you'll only see that improve as well, giving you even greater battery life. Engadget saw 2 full days of average usage out of their test unit, who knows how long this could last with a big battery and all the optimizations I mentioned. But again, it all comes down to your needs and usage.

mrblahblah

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Well just using it for a few weeks, letting it run down and charging it all the way up each time should condition it pretty well and your battery life will improve a bit. That's how most devices are, anyway. There are a number of apps already that can save battery life by suspending or killing un-needed running apps, optimize radio usage, screen brightness, update frequency for various apps/widgets, etc. and there will be more in the near future that are device-specific to the Charge. I would also expect battery life on LTE to improve immensely as VZW continues to strengthen and optimize the 4G network, as it still seems to be in a somewhat beta-state at this time.

If you're willing to root your phone, custom ROM's will be coming that will allow you to improve battery life immensely by removing TouchWiz and replacing it with the stock or another streamlined launcher, changing the filesystem from RFS to EXT4, removing excess apps, as well as optimizing a number of system features. Expect even greater life and more speed once the custom kernels start to come out.

Bottom line: there are a number of reasons to expect your battery life to improve dramatically over the next few weeks/months, and even more if you're willing to root. So if you're just barely making it now, you should see that start to improve and I'd save my money if I were you. But, if you do need a bigger battery or that's just what you want, you'll only see that improve as well, giving you even greater battery life. Engadget saw 2 full days of average usage out of their test unit, who knows how long this could last with a big battery and all the optimizations I mentioned. But again, it all comes down to your needs and usage.

Wow, it sounds great. I just have a lot to learn about rooting, kernels, etc..

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My results for battery life after having it since Saturday are: removed from charger at 7:00AM, at 11:30PM it was down to 30%. I surfed the net, read-responded to email, installed 3rd party apps, and played with the phone to learn more about it. Below are my settings. I also checked task manager once in a while to look for running apps and once in a while it would list the browser as running. There was never a long list of running apps

screen brightness - auto
screen timeout - 30 sec
weather bug refresh - 6 hrs.

mboverst

May 15, 2011
plus.google.com
I'll sum up a longer post I made in another topic. Yesterday I was able to run the Charge for 20 hours with room to spare. This was under heavy use as I was constantly using all of the phones features. Also, I was always in a 4G area.

*EDIT* I was not using the mobile wifi, and I'm sure this would zap any battery. Besides that I was using everything else; GPS, browser, games, etc, etc.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'll sum up a longer post I made in another topic. Yesterday I was able to run the Charge for 20 hours with room to spare. This was under heavy use as I was constantly using all of the phones features. Also, I was always in a 4G area.

*EDIT* I was not using the mobile wifi, and I'm sure this would zap any battery. Besides that I was using everything else; GPS, browser, games, etc, etc.

Being connected to WiFi actually extends the battery life. However having WiFi on while not connected to a WiFi network would definitely have a negative affect on the battery life.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I picked up the extened battery for those just in case days that you know you are going to be away from a ps for some time. Etc.

Would love to know any feedback you have on that.

Also does it fit in the Media dock or Car dock with the ext battery? I can't imagine it would.

rescueswimmer

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Have not seen a car dock yet, but no it does not fit in the dock. On a plus side i got 1o hours out of the send battery. i had wifi gps and bluetooth on for 6 hours with some good use out of it. And i still had 10% battery life left. expecting great things from the extended battery.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the extended battery and frankly I like the bulk it gives the phone. I was having problems with keeping ahold of the phone with how thin it is.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
do tell how the battery life is when you have a moment.

Sip far been pretty good. I still turn stuff off that uses battery life such as bluetooth. Gets me through a foil day and then some. About on par with the iphone that used to have. I am a pretty heavy user. I haven't seen any cases yet for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21