Can cheap power packs harm my phone and/or battery?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
i'm shopping around online for very small power packs, the cheaper the better cuz i'll rarely need it, but i don't want to get one that will mess up my phone or battery in any way. Thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i'm shopping around online for very small power packs, the cheaper the better cuz i'll rarely need it, but i don't want to get one that will mess up my phone or battery in any way. Thoughts?

Please give us an example of when you would use it, and how often that situation would happen.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Please give us an example of when you would use it, and how often that situation would happen.

i would use it maybe 1-2x a month to give my battery a 1/2-full charge.

Something like this:
Amazon.com: Yubi Power YP250AP 2500mAh Ultra Compact Lipstick Size Portable Power Bank Backup External Battery Charger - [Stylish and Tiny 3.70 x 0.86 x 0.86 inch Dimensions] (Purple): Cell Phones & Accessories

and since my phone will have a non-removaable battery i just want to be extra sure i don't compromise it in any way.

this one is a bit more expensive and by a known brand, but if the other is equally is good id prefer to save money. Plus, i mean, technically i don't even need it, i can live and learn if i run out of battery.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i would use it maybe 1-2x a month to give my battery a 1/2-full charge.

Something like this:
Amazon.com: Yubi Power YP250AP 2500mAh Ultra Compact Lipstick Size Portable Power Bank Backup External Battery Charger - [Stylish and Tiny 3.70 x 0.86 x 0.86 inch Dimensions] (Purple): Cell Phones & Accessories

and since my phone will have a non-removaable battery i just want to be extra sure i don't compromise it in any way.

this one is a bit more expensive and by a known brand, but if the other is equally is good id prefer to save money. Plus, i mean, technically i don't even need it, i can live and learn if i run out of battery.

Then I would counter suggest getting a car (or spare wall) charger made by the same manufacturer that made your device.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Then I would counter suggest getting a car (or spare wall) charger made by the same manufacturer that made your device.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

yeah, i don't drive (i live in manhattan) and i'll have extra charger, but more for those random times when i'm not near an outlet and have totally forgotten to charge.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
yeah, i don't drive (i live in manhattan) and i'll have extra charger, but more for those random times when i'm not near an outlet and have totally forgotten to charge.

For me, in that case, what I would do is activate Airplane mode for a while. It kills power to the cell radios, but leaves it on so you can still use non internet dependent apps.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
For me, in that case, what I would do is activate Airplane mode for a while. It kills power to the cell radios, but leaves it on so you can still use non internet dependent apps.

yeah, that's what i do too. i just mean for emergencies. Like, the other day i was out and couldn't find what i was looking for, i went to yelp/google map it, phone dead. Had to go into a store and ask someone to use their iPad. :D.

But if they're bad for the phone/battery i'll pass then and try to remember to always charge and/or live with the consequences.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
yeah, that's what i do too. i just mean for emergencies. Like, the other day i was out and couldn't find what i was looking for, i went to yelp/google map it, phone dead. Had to go into a store and ask someone to use their iPad. :D.

But if they're bad for the phone/battery i'll pass then and try to remember to always charge and/or live with the consequences.

I am not saying they are bad, far from it. I am more trying to get you to analyse the cost. If it were reversed, and you though you would use it several times a week, I would have suggested to try it. I look at it this way: You already have the charger. This extra accessory would really change nothing. You would still have to carry an extra few items with you i.e. your data cable and the unit.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not saying they are bad, far from it. I am more trying to get you to analyse the cost. If it were reversed, and you though you would use it several times a week, I would have suggested to try it. I look at it this way: You already have the charger. This extra accessory would really change nothing. You would still have to carry an extra few items with you i.e. your data cable and the unit.

Ah. yes. In the situations i am thinking of i probably wouldn't use it more than a few times a year. I'll wait til i see if i actual need it before buying. lol. I'd never seen them before, what a marvelous product! Ya know how it is, then all the sudden you think it'll come in handy.

(i wouldn't need the cable with me though, just the unit b/c the unit you charge when you are home and then put it in your bag in case of emergencies, i think the power pack charge lasts a couple months). But the reality is, the chances of my even carrying the bag its in when i run into an emergency is probably the most remote senario of all! lol.

Thanks. : )

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ah. yes. In the situations i am thinking of i probably wouldn't use it more than a few times a year. I'll wait til i see if i actual need it before buying. lol. I'd never seen them before, what a marvelous product! Ya know how it is, then all the sudden you think it'll come in handy.

(i wouldn't need the cable with me though, just the unit b/c the unit you charge when you are home and then put it in your bag in case of emergencies, i think the power pack charge lasts a couple months). But the reality is, the chances of my even carrying the bag its in when i run into an emergency is probably the most remote senario of all! lol.

Thanks. : )

I only glanced at the photo, and I saw the USB port, so I assumed you needed the cable as well. If you take the Subways in Manhattan, don't they have built in chargers now?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I only glanced at the photo, and I saw the USB port, so I assumed you needed the cable as well. If you take the Subways in Manhattan, don't they have built in chargers now?

oh yeah, derp, you do need the cable, i was thinking you meant the charger part, as in the ...whatever it's called, wall charger piece. derp. :D. So yeah, then you're carry both the thingie and the cable.

no way on the built in chargers in nyc. our built in chargers are called Starbucks. :D.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
oh yeah, derp, you do need the cable, i was thinking you meant the charger part, as in the ...whatever it's called, wall charger piece. derp. :D. So yeah, then you're carry both the thingie and the cable.

no way on the built in chargers in nyc. our built in chargers are called Starbucks. :D.

Lol...OK. I swore I heard a major city had chargers on public transportation. I assumed NY.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
The only risk would be if the output voltage were too high. If instead of the 5v it were outputting say 8v. That would be bad. What you might want to consider, especially I'd you use a lot of AA batteries, would be one of the ones that uses those. You could even use the low self discharge batteries like the Enloop. Lower capacity but longer storage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad