Overheated burning charger

depereo4de

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Last night I fell asleep with my Droid Maxx on the bed next to me plugged in (original included charger). During the night I rolled over, accidentally knocking it onto the floor. It must have landed on the charging port because it came unplugged, and when I went to plug it back in I saw that the micro USB tip was bent. When I went to see if I could bend it back it felt like it cut me causing me to drop the charger. After picking it back up I tried again with the same results, but this time I realized I wasn't being cut, but rather burned! While inspecting the damage to my finger by the light of my phone I started smelling smoke. I looked at the charger and the tip was glowing red hot and burning the rubber sheathing! I immediately unplugged it.

Has this been known to happen? Also, I planned to just take it to Verizon where I got it in order to exchange for a new one, but should something more be done? Any help or input would be appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Last night I fell asleep with my Droid Maxx on the bed next to me plugged in (original included charger). During the night I rolled over, accidentally knocking it onto the floor. It must have landed on the charging port because it came unplugged, and when I went to plug it back in I saw that the micro USB tip was bent. When I went to see if I could bend it back it felt like it cut me causing me to drop the charger. After picking it back up I tried again with the same results, but this time I realized I wasn't being cut, but rather burned! While inspecting the damage to my finger by the light of my phone I started smelling smoke. I looked at the charger and the tip was glowing red hot and burning the rubber sheathing! I immediately unplugged it.

Has this been known to happen? Also, I planned to just take it to Verizon where I got it in order to exchange for a new one, but should something more be done? Any help or input would be appreciated.
It's not something that happens normally. Based on your account it seems like the damage caused to the micro USB connector wiring is to blame. I wouldn't say this is a defect in the charger itself, but rather something caused by the stress it took when being bent or pulled.

Aside from that damaged charger, sounds like you are ok?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I hope you are doing ok. As for the device/charger, I would immediately get a new one, as the fall damaged it. I would also inspect and be weary of the USB port in the phone as that may have become damaged as well.

depereo4de

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the concern. Aside from two grooves burned into my finger tip from trying to bend it last night, I'm alright. I'm just glad it wasn't a lot worse. Had I not woken up it could have easily started a fire. Or, had I not noticed it and just plugged it back in I could have completely destroyed my phone... AND started a fire.
I'm taking it in for a replacement now. I'll be sure to inspect the phone's charging port, and keep a close eye on it when I next charge it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the concern. Aside from two grooves burned into my finger tip from trying to bend it last night, I'm alright. I'm just glad it wasn't a lot worse. Had I not woken up it could have easily started a fire. Or, had I not noticed it and just plugged it back in I could have completely destroyed my phone... AND started a fire.
I'm taking it in for a replacement now. I'll be sure to inspect the phone's charging port, and keep a close eye on it when I next charge it.

Again, glad you are OK. Let us know how it works out.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

depereo4de

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Again, glad you are OK. Let us know how it works out.

From a Liquid Nexus 5
I went to Verizon and showed it to them. It sounded like they weren't going to take it back because it's not a warranty issue or something like that. When I got to the part of the story about getting burned by it the manager that was listening gave the go ahead for a free exchange.
I opted for the generic charger they had in the store versus waiting for an official to get mailed to me. All seems to be working well now. Both phone and charger. Thanks again everyone!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I went to Verizon and showed it to them. It sounded like they weren't going to take it back because it's not a warranty issue or something like that. When I got to the part of the story about getting burned by it the manager that was listening gave the go ahead for a free exchange.
I opted for the generic charger they had in the store versus waiting for an official to get mailed to me. All seems to be working well now. Both phone and charger. Thanks again everyone!

Glad something worked out. Hopefully the port truly is fine.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app