New Forum? have questions

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing this is a new forum since there are no threads here. I will start by putting the first thread and asking a few questions.

I am looking into purchasing a Chromebook. I like the idea of Chrome OS but I have never use it.

I guess my questions for folks that have one are:

-How do you like it?
-Is it fast?
-If you had the option to go back and stop yourself from doing it would you?
-Did you find it hard to use for daily life without any programs like you'd see on windows/mac/linux?

Thanks in advance

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing this is a new forum since there are no threads here. I will start by putting the first thread and asking a few questions.

I am looking into purchasing a Chromebook. I like the idea of Chrome OS but I have never use it.

-How do you like it?
-Is it fast?
-Did you find it hard to use for daily life without any programs like you'd see on windows/mac/linux?

Thanks in advance

I was considering getting one too but a few things have stopped me from doing so.
For one since it's web based, you'd have to rely on an internet connection to use it. There ARE offline apps but not enough, and it rarely works correctly. Also if you shut it closed it doesn't sleep, it turns off. I've seen AND read reviews about the chrome books. It's obviously fast because everything is online.

It would be very hard to actually use this in real life without reliable constant internet connection. If I were you I would just invest in either an actual laptop or if not, at least a tabler like Asus transformer. Which with the dock would be like a netbook.

itsjose

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

-How do you like it?
-Is it fast?

Thanks in advance

I like it but not enough to love it.

It's fairly fast. There's small hiccups here and there but nothing worth crying about.

I dont know if I would go back. I was in need of a laptop and well this cuts it, it's simple and gets straight to the point. unfortunately, my Nexus 7 does the same thing with more apps that I would like to use like Skype. I wanted something with a keyboard and I got that, there's no need for a dock. If I did need one I wouldnt have to worry bout the hassle of where to place the dock. Granted like the above the user said you can get a tablet that has its own keyboard dock but I'm sticking with pure Google products for now. I dont need it for rendering projects or running PS. It gets the job done. If it did run adobe products then I would be thrilled. But thats not the case. It's not everyones cup of tea and for what I needed it, it works.

I suppose I answered your last question there. Its something I can have sitting next to me to glance at while I game, or doing something else allowing me to chat with ease of having a keyboard. But not having the support of big programs is somewhat of a bummer I use those frequently. If its something for a younger brother or my parents it'll be absolutely perfect.

Justin Cardwell

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I used one when my laptop broke, I had one laying around someone gave to me temporary. I loved it, especially how it is web based. The apps are great. The cons are the fact it requires internet. Apps that work offline are some web-based games, What purpose does a regular computer have with no internet. You can use google docs offline also.

dra

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
i just dropped 200 on an acer Chromebook and have not turned on my windows laptop since it does everything i need it to.so far i love it, only a few days in.have not ran into any hick ups or stalls it runs pretty quick and smooth.

scjjtt

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i just dropped 200 on an acer Chromebook and have not turned on my windows laptop since it does everything i need it to.so far i love it, only a few days in.have not ran into any hick ups or stalls it runs pretty quick and smooth.

I got my Acer C7 back in December. It is amazingly fast. Some will complain that it relies upon being connected to the internet. I guess whenever I use my laptop or phone, I'm connected to the internet.

I'm trying to move to using my Chromebook for everything. Most of my work is using Microsoft Office programs - which can be substituted with Google Docs. I'm not there yet - but getting closer.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
wispawhite consider doing the "chrome" challenge. Download the chrome web browser on whatever device you are currently using and do everything through it for awhile. This will give you a good taste of the basic functionality of Chrome OS. We do have many more offline apps now than we did at the beginning of the year though many of those apps are based on web services that already had web-based modes. It is a good OS with speedy boot and response times and makes for a great casual use device/second device but it doesn't have great access to software outside of basic productivity software (via Google Docs and some other web-based office software) yet.

It does have Chrome Remote Desktop which is an outstanding remote package that lets you connect with a Windows or OS X machine and do your work that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid