• 1 Post By djw39
  • 2 Post By rkeenan
  • 1 Post By rkeenan
  • 1 Post By djw39
  • 1 Post By Dude1134
  • 1 Post By djw39
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google: $1,299 for Chrome book Pixel

Am I missing something here, or is this price point just outrageous?

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Google: $1,299 for Chrome book Pixel

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    Am I missing something here, or is this price point just outrageous?

That price is insane.. all it is is a cloud computer with 1TB of drive storage.. :-/ I'd much rather buy a mac for that price..
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by diabloking View Post
    That price is insane.. all it is is a cloud computer with 1TB of drive storage.. :-/ I'd much rather buy a mac for that price..
    Well it does have a super high resolution and really nice construction to boot. Still, even with the specs, the price strikes me as high

Uh...outrageously AWESOME!!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    return_0 likes this.

Only question is, has anyone ported I Am Rich to the Chrome Web Store yet?

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

I don't understand high resolution for something that cannot play video games and as far as I know, it can't edit video. The idea of making it Linux laptop would be tolerable if it was about $500 cheaper.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    Only question is, has anyone ported I Am Rich to the Chrome Web Store yet?
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by rkeenan View Post
    I don't understand high resolution for something that cannot play video games and as far as I know, it can't edit video. The idea of making it Linux laptop would be tolerable if it was about $500 cheaper.
    You can still look at photos, watch videos/movies, and surf on a beautiful display.

It's too much for me. A Windows laptop would be more versatile for that price. A touchscreen for a laptop wouldn't work for me. I'd much rather use a mouse or trackball with my laptop. Not a big fan of trackpads.

Seems ridiculously expensive. It's a shame too because I really wanted it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Lol!

You can still look at photos, watch videos/movies, and surf on a beautiful display.

So can you on a Nexus 10. You can buy 3 for the price of a Chromebook like this. The things you described can be done on numerous devices for way cheaper...what I mentioned cannot. I used to say that Apple had the most overpriced hardware, but now I think there is a new champion.
    droidmyme and MERCDROID like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by rkeenan View Post
    So can you on a Nexus 10. You can buy 3 for the price of a Chromebook like this. The things you described can be done on numerous devices for way cheaper...what I mentioned cannot. I used to say that Apple had the most overpriced hardware, but now I think there is a new champion.
    I'm not arguing with you . I was merely citing the high resolution display on the Pixel.

Still doesn't make it worth the price tag! Lol

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

I'm not arguing with you . I was merely citing the high resolution display on the Pixel.

Still doesn't make it worth the price tag! Lol

Haha I see. I thought you were one of those Apple-type people that makw my head almost explode.
    MERCDROID likes this.

It's interesting-- I put Windows 8 on my desktop and have basically concluded I have no use for most of the apps, and I would probably be OK with a "thin client" laptop. I admire the simplicity of Chrome OS, but I think they should shoot for $400-600 with a well designed plastic body like the Lenovo U310, with a good trackpad, keyboard and screen, and 10 hours of battery life. I don't know what kind of processor is needed for that, but I'd be interested if it existed.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    droidman2177 likes this.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Apple and MS are lol at this product, they probably gave them the day off to laugh...No USB 3.0....32GB of storage. Unbelievable!

Also instead of linking to that crappy PC site...Here is the link for right here on AC Chromebook Pixel 'For What's Next' Video

and the whole Pixel Section... http://forums.androidcentral.com/chromebook-pixel/
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Why does it need touchscreen? Get rid of that and drop the price. The Macbook Pro is so much better for a little more. I mean the chromebook doesn't even have USB 3.0 or HDMI. If you want high resolution touchscreens go with the Nexus 10.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    droidmyme likes this.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I have a hp laptop. It has beats audio, Intel third gen. i7 processer, 8 gigs of ram and a terabyte hard drive. Not the best graphics (Intel hd 4000). (Running windows 8) Point is, I paid 630$ at Best Buy. It even came with a full membership of Microsoft office. For the price of the chromebook, I can get a much better laptop with touchscreen included. I never thought I would say this, but for that price, I would buy a Mac Book pro retina!
    The price of the chromebook is absolutely ridiculous. Is it awesome? Yes. Worth it? I don't think so.

My take is Google is merely throwing their hat in the ring, so to speak, with the Apple MacBooks and MS Surface products. Google is probably not expecting to sell a ton of these, but merely saying to everyone "lookey at we can do all by ourselves". This is a pure Google piece of hardware/software. Sound familiar? A year or two from now this same device will cost much less and possibly run a merged Chrome OS/Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude1134 View Post
    Why does it need touchscreen?
    Two words: Angry Birds.
    MERCDROID likes this.

I saw a site comparing this to the macbook air and i didn't get why being only a chrome book because they didn't have the price on the their site but really $1299. I could go and buy the Air or two windows laptops for that price.
    Last edited by emburybrett; 03-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    Two words: Angry Birds.
    Haha, pay 1300 to play Angry Birds, that's a joke. And Chrome OS can't run android apps. It does seem awesome until you see the price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dude1134 View Post
    Haha, pay 1300 to play Angry Birds, that's a joke. And Chrome OS can't run android apps.
    Chrome OS can run Angry Birds

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

It's a bit steep, but various sources online have shown that the 3 years of 1TB storage cost more, so if you need that, it makes more sense to buy the laptop. You get a "free" toy and save a few hundred bucks - not bad at all.

Yeah, as long as you were going to do that in the first place. Otherwise it's not that great of a deal.

My main objection to the Pixel at this point is that it's a laptop. I was considering the Series 3, but decided against it. The ergonomic sitting angle is 135, and the arms have to be relatively straight because the keyboard isn't curved to avoid hurting your wrists. That ends up leaving the screen too far away to see anything well.

A tablet solves that because you can comfortably hold it closer. I think the only area where a laptop really wins is composing text that you don't have to look at the screen too carefully for (or you can jack up the font size), which makes it something of a niche device. This isn't all that surprising as tablets are cannibalising laptop sales, and the moment Chrome for Android can install Chrome apps and extensions (basically Hola unblocker is the one app that works on Chrome OS that doesn't seem to behave well on Android for me) there's no point in getting a Chromebook over an Asus Transformer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ROM/CyanogenMod 10

Even if you run a OS like Linux,
    it isn't worth it.

Sent from my XOOM.
    I`m alive

Quote Originally Posted by diabloking View Post
    Umm macs are cheaper then this.
    and of course better then any micro**** product like windoze or the chrome os.