Newbie, looking for some answers

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had an Android phone for a while, but now I'm looking for an inexpensive WiFi device for my kids. I want something they can use for school, so that means word processing and spreadsheets that are compatible with Office. On my Android phone, I use Kingsoft Office. It's free and works well. What I don't know is whether the Chrome OS has access to the Play store and can use the same apps as Android? If not, what should I be looking at for kids (ages 11 - 16) to use? I will have three of them to buy, so cost is a significant consideration.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had an Android phone for a while, but now I'm looking for an inexpensive WiFi device for my kids. I want something they can use for school, so that means word processing and spreadsheets that are compatible with Office. On my Android phone, I use Kingsoft Office. It's free and works well. What I don't know is whether the Chrome OS has access to the Play store and can use the same apps as Android? If not, what should I be looking at for kids (ages 11 - 16) to use? I will have three of them to buy, so cost is a significant consideration.

Any devices that are ones you used to use?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
$250 each would probably be an absolute max. Would prefer a device with a keyboard.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not understanding your question here.

I was thinking you could let them use any older android devices for browsing.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Isn't like the Acer and Samsung Chromebooks around 200 bucks? Could look into those...

Posted via Android Central App

What about this new dual boot Chrome book / Win 8? I realize that might be a lot more expensive than my budget, but might be worth it. What is the projected cost of that?

BlakeGates

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
What about this new dual boot Chrome book / Win 8? I realize that might be a lot more expensive than my budget, but might be worth it. What is the projected cost of that?

Are you talking about the ASUS Transformer Trio? I think they have another one as well, but can't think of the name... It's basically a Win8 ultrabook with the ability to dual boot with Android OS and detach the keyboard to use it as a tablet. That is my next purchase :) I can't wait for it to be released.

From what I've read, the projected price will be about $1,300+. The other (and a little bit older version of basically the same thing) that I can't remember the name of, is still around $1,100.

Maybe a bit out of your budget point for your particular situation. But oh darn are they nice!

Posted via Android Central App

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey I use both a Chromebook and a Gen 1 Nexus 7 so I will tell you what I think.

Originally I had just my Nexus 7. I liked it but I needed something to do office work on after my old Windows Vista laptop gave up the ghost. I went with a bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard was nice and there are some excellent office suites available for Android but the screen was just to freaking small. The Samsung 3 chromebook caught my eye as a backup because it was modestly priced at $250. I've been using that since March now. It is a very nice laptop that boots fast, has no noise or heat, and great battery life (around 6 hours on a charge). However, Google Docs apps are not particularly my cup of tea. I don't care for Google Docs Writer (certainly not compared to Office Pro 7). It works offline which is nice but it is sluggish and awkward to work with and you have to thoroughly check formatting since it sometimes munches docs that get opened in other word processors. Chromebooks only support cloud printers as well so if your home office has an old fashioned printer, you'll need an existing Windows or Mac OS machine to use it and have to do a bit of jury-rigging over your home network. A new printer might be a hidden cost for your home office setup here.

Bottom line for me is that while a Nexus 7 is nice and has superior productivity software, the screen is simply to small for prolonged work. I think a full-sized tablet or transformer would do the job much better and leave me happier for office work though those options are of course more expensive. For basic web browsing, streaming, etc. I vastly prefer my chromebook as it has two-button mouse support (android only does one click) and an array of ports for connecting devices that my Nexus 7 simply isn't compatible with. I keep my chromebook docked to a 24'' LED at home and can dual monitor with my external display and the laptop's built-in display. It is very handy for having notes on one screen and my document on the other screen.

TO ANSWER YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION
Chrome OS is a different operating system from Android. It uses its own app store (Chrome Web Store) and its own apps. So far most of these "apps" are glorified web links to web-based software but there is a small (and growing) collection of offline ("packaged") apps that work like software on other platforms does. So far an office suite more sophisticated than the Google Docs offline mode doesn't exist though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid