Google Drive Offline Mode

Rolandh

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
This isn't directly related to Chrome OS, but it's Chrome related & couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I'm running the latest Canary build of Google Chrome & setup Offline mode in Google Drive, but whenever I go Offline I can open my Drive Sync folders in Windows but can't open any of the files. Also following the instructions on the Google Drive website once Offline mode is enabled doesn't work.

I know I should just go out and buy a Chromebook, but I'm currently evaluating if I could live 100% in Chrome on a day to day basis minus the obvious Gaming, while letting my finances recover from Christmas before going out and getting a Chromebook. But to tell you the truth I've never even been able to get Google Drive Offline mode to work in the Android or iOS apps.

Roland

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This isn't directly related to Chrome OS, but it's Chrome related & couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I'm running the latest Canary build of Google Chrome & setup Offline mode in Google Drive, but whenever I go Offline I can open my Drive Sync folders in Windows but can't open any of the files. Also following the instructions on the Google Drive website once Offline mode is enabled doesn't work.

I know I should just go out and buy a Chromebook, but I'm currently evaluating if I could live 100% in Chrome on a day to day basis minus the obvious Gaming, while letting my finances recover from Christmas before going out and getting a Chromebook. But to tell you the truth I've never even been able to get Google Drive Offline mode to work in the Android or iOS apps.

Roland

there are 2 ways one via chrome store app and another via drive application on windows.

what do you mean you cant open it? those offline files are just like files on your PC. what happens when you double click it?

Rolandh

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
there are 2 ways one via chrome store app and another via drive application on windows.

what do you mean you cant open it? those offline files are just like files on your PC. what happens when you double click it?

They just wouldn't open through the Drive Chrome Web App or through the Windows Desktop Client. Through the Chrome Web App it was acting like I'd turned off the Wifi without setting up Offline (but now strangely works). The Windows Desktop Client just acts like it's working when I double click with the spinning circle icon next to the mouse pointer then nothing.

The only reason I use the Desktop Client is for adding files stored in Drive to emails as attachments anyway. But since I'm planning to upgrade to a Chromebook in the future it's no big deal if the Desktop Client won't work offline as I use Chrome Web Apps anyway.

Roland

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Roland

I have a Chromebook and offline mode seems to work fine. In fact, it automatically syncs all offline-able files (docs, sheets, presentations and drawings) without even having to really do anything.

My gripe is that spreadsheets open as "view only", but apparently (I haven't tested it yet), if you upgrade to the new version of Sheets then you can edit online: Google Drive Blog: New Google Sheets: faster, more powerful, and works offline