MacBook Air vs. Chromebook

bwillard92

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
If you search MacBook Air vs. Chromebook on google you find a lot of interesting information. It seems many people are replacing their MBA with a Chromebook or not buying an MBA at all.

I currently own a 13" MacBook Air and really enjoy using it. After the holidays I'm thinking of buying a Chromebook to see what all the fuss is about. I currently use Chrome as my browser and have been experimenting with if I can do everything online. I've found Google Docs actually works just as well as OpenOffice installed on my Mac. I'm not very fond of Google Play Music and use Amazon Music instead. I do know I need a Mac or Windows PC for iTunes and my iPhone though.

https://tech.itiswhatitis.biz/chrome...s-macbook-air/ This article inspired my post.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak directly to the MacBook/Chromebook comparison, but I can say that I really enjoy using my Chromebooks, and hardly use my Windows 8.1 desktop any more (except for remote access to my work system). They're so cheap that there isn't much to lose by giving one a try. If you can get one from a place with a good return policy like Costco or Walmart, then you can be even more comfortable with the purchase, in case it ends up not being that useful for you.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
A. My desktop run Windows 10.
B. I recently bought a Samsung Chromebook Pro.
C. I don't do business with Apple and don't plan to, ever.

I am very new to Chromebook and have problems but I'm assuming I'll learn what I need to know eventually.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a Chromebook and I like it. I've always been a windows/ MSDOS kind of guy. When the PixelBook came out I was going to get it. then I found a deal on a MacBook Air for $150 less then the PixelBook. I made the jump to a Mac. Weird choice for me but I'm really happy with it so far.

Now I rarely use the Chromebook, or my Windows machine. Tried the iPhone for a month. I'm not a hater and I love my Mac, but you couldn't pry My Pixel 2 from my cold head hands lol.

Sim8

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
My good lady (who is well better than me with tech) is a long-standing Apple advocate, and uses her devices to run her own business. I'm relatively of a humble Raspberry Pi level. But she is eyeing my Acer Chromebook R11 with interest. It is an exceptionally versatile bit of kit, especially when loaded with the right (free) Apps. Astonishingly only £240 in the UK. Technically, I've not found anything it can't do that it should be able to. In fact, I think Acer have put the R11 CB5-132T in a naff white casing so they can sell sexier looking stuff higher up the range for twice the price which can't do much more technically. 11.6" screen is borderline acceptable - before researching the whole market, I promised myself 12" would be the minimum. But the full flip touchscreen is impressive. Tablet/Laptop (Netbook) hybrid is most definitely here now at a fair price. Good luck with whatever you go for.

Last edited:

stodge

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I think it depends what you need from the device. If you only want email, small documents, social media and browsing, then the Chromebook is an excellent option. Even more so if you're already tied into Google's eco system (GMail, Drive, Documents etc). If you want games, video, audio or image editing then the Mac might be a better choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital