Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Google_Superuser
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Default Using Chromebook in School

I have been looking at the chromebooks because of the size but I am worried about them not being great for school.

I would assume that I will need some sort of office access but this would be more or less for taking notes since I have a full size tower at home to use at anytime.

Default Re: Using Chromebook in School

That's exactly what I did. Desktop at home Chromebook at school. It worked for me because I was an Art History major so all I did was research things online and type documents in google docs. Worked perfectly and I was really happy with the Chromebook. It wouldn't work of course if you need specialty software like Adobe CS/CC or something so it depends on major I suppose.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm working towards my professional designation and pretty much want the Chromebook for Docs, and Spreadsheets almost exclusively.

I typed up my last assignment using docs on my sisters laptop (which is why I want a chromebook) and it turned out pretty well, my issue was I had to load into Office later to make some formatting corrections as a few things were out of place. Nothing too serious though. Is there anyone with more extensive experience that could shed some light on this?

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

I find Google Docs frustrating to use. I dislike that we don't have a packaged app for docs. Why is it that when I click on word processor or spreadsheet or whatever, it automatically opens a new file and creates that file on Google Drive? I periodically have to clean out my drive because of this. Not being able to click the icons on the launcher without opening a new instance is annoying as well (a frustrating change that rolled out a few months ago in an OS update when they were making packaged apps more robust)

Beyond these petty annoyances, the application works well enough beyond that. Chrome Remote Desktop is outstanding if you've got a Windows or Mac PC to call home to. Google Keep is definitely better than scratchpad and works great as a basic note-taking app. I wish that chromebooks had been around when I was in college. Mine is my primary computer (I have a gaming PC but it needs fixing and I've been to cheap/lazy to get to it) and since I don't need it professionally, it gets me by for basic entertainment purposes and posting long-winded forum rants.

Compatibility between different word processors seems to ALWAYS be an issue. I write it in Google Docs, she opens it in Office 2010. Shenanigans ensue. I'm kind of a power user so I have a Linux environment set up on an SD card for my chromebook. If I ever have any serious work to do (besides typing up campaign notes for Dungeons & Dragons), I turn to LibreOffice. Google Docs is a real weak point of the whole thing IMO
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Algus thank you for the informed post it was very helpful. I don't do any major formatting when using word. I'm essentially using it to write memo's and short answer questions which is probably why I'm getting far fewer formatting issues.