Chrome Book as a primary device/school use?

thewind56

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am currently using a 2007 windows 7 laptop, but it is on it's last leg. It now has to be used plugged it, it doesn't hold a charge, and can be only used wherever there is a wall outlet. I was wondering if getting a chromebook(HP 11 or Acer C720) could be used as a primary device for school (high school). For research, google docs for papers, slides for PPT( convert them for school use and back), and then fun stuff(feedly,pocket articles music,youtube,G+) for later. For printing i could always use the school's library.

Also if you have any tips for school use, let me know.

Thank you the help

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Chromebooks have a really backwards way of printing but essentially you need a printer with cloud capabilities as well. You can have a regular printer plugged into a home computer but you'd probably need to send the files to a school computer to print them at school.

I really like my chromebook and I wished they had been a thing that existed when I was in school. Google Docs can produce odd formatting errors on your docs which could be an issue when submitting assignments to your teachers. If you need any apps more powerful than basic productivity though, you'd have to rely on your school's network.

Chromebooks are great if you are looking for as cheap as possible or are already on board with Chrome OS but you might find it a little underpowered if you need to do any heavy lifting or want a gaming device. If all you are doing is net-based stuff or are using it as a second device, it could do the trick for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I will say this to anybody asking this sort of question. Most devices will work for most situations but ask your school if there is any scenario where a chrome book wouldn't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am currently using a 2007 windows 7 laptop, but it is on it's last leg. It now has to be used plugged it, it doesn't hold a charge, and can be only used wherever there is a wall outlet. I was wondering if getting a chromebook(HP 11 or Acer C720) could be used as a primary device for school (high school). For research, google docs for papers, slides for PPT( convert them for school use and back), and then fun stuff(feedly,pocket articles music,youtube,G+) for later. For printing i could always use the school's library.

Also if you have any tips for school use, let me know.

Thank you the help

Before you run off to buy a new machine, have you looked into buying a new battery for your current laptop?

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well yes, but it will probably get 3 hours max. i need long battery life for working on projects, reasearch etc.

Yeah, Windows laptops and long battery life don't currently belong in the same sentence, lol.

I say, go with the Acer c720. It's estimated 8.5 hours of battery life will serve you well, especially on long days when you're away from a charger.

Good luck, whatever you choose to buy!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Windows laptops and long battery life don't currently belong in the same sentence, lol.

I say, go with the Acer c720. It's estimated 8.5 hours of battery life will serve you well, especially on long days when you're away from a charger.

Good luck, whatever you choose to buy!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

..even with Haswell? :)

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I used my chromebook for school. Just graduated in May. It worked really well but I was an art history major so all I needed was internet to research and something to type documents with. I'd imagine it would not work for anything requiring specialty software. I have the first Samsung chromebook (the ones that came out after the CR-48) and the battery lasted all day from 10-4/5. I still use it sometimes when I need portability but need something more than my tablet.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
A guy in a uni class with me has one (which he got for free some how) he claims its good for typing docs and storing the files online but other than that its useless.

He claimed a windows 8 tablet would be more useful. Not sure how it will go in your case, you can pick up cheap windows 8 laptops around the place.

My laptop broke I got a cheap touchsmart 11 by HP gets about 4-6/7hrs depending on usage at uni.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

TheDoros

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
While not a chromebook I've been using Google Docs almost exclusively for writing up my CGA assignments. I can say that it works almost flawlessly but I do get some minor formatting issues. However, it's nothing a few strikes of the enter key won't fix in Microsoft Office which I assume the CGA uses to view documents.

I'm actually looking to pick up the HP Chromebook 14 when I hit NYC in a few weeks because I basically need a word processing machine that can browse the net for research purposes. The battery life and cost of the machine are right up my alley and is why I'll be picking up this patricular model.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the HP Chromebook. I love it so far and I primarily got it for school work. Have not really used it for documents yet, still trying to find a good app for that. I have used Google docs for a few things, but I do online schooling so a lot of my stuff is done right through the browser. Still learning the it's and outs and the UI but so far it has worked perfectly. I have heard of other office like productivity apps you can get for the Chromebook. I will let you know if I find a good one. However so far it has work perfectly for what I need and more. Even the battery life is nice and the bottom doesn't Heat up in your lap because of the design. I would recommend one myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis