HP Chromebook 14 and T-Mobile

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I know that the HP Chromebook 14 with 4G gives you 200 MB of free data per month on T-Mobile. But can someone tell me how it works if my phone is already on T-Mobile? Can I add the Chromebook on as a 2nd mobile device to my plan, and is that relatively cheap? Or would it just be cheaper and easier to tether to my phone? The T-Mobile website doesn't recognize Chromebooks as a BYOD option.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
When you first log on with the 4G HP 14, you have to configure the cellular connection. Before you even sign on, you'll be given a browser page and be prompted to either sign in with an existing T-Mobile account or create a new one.

The free promotion is 200mb/mo for free and everything is set up on it automatically. You have the option of buying more data month to month if you want. If you follow the enrollment process on the chromebook, and sign in with your account, then your chromebook should be enrolled properly and if you have already paid for a larger data pool for that month, you should have access to it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I assume that activating the Chromebook on an existing T-Mobile account would mean it's counted as an additional device on the account, requiring additional fees, right? That is, you wouldn't be able to piggyback off the current data plan for the current phone?

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I do not use T-Mobile for my phone, only for my Chromebook but IIRC T-Mobile does not actually have combined data pools (so buying data for your chromebook would be different from buying for your phone). You might want to shoot over to the T-Mobile subforum and get the explanation from those guys as far as how the plans work.

Cougardebo

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Can you add the HP 14 to Verizon's Network? ZI have the HP 11 G2 and it's nice to add it to our Verizon Share Everything plan. I like the specs and the screen size, so it would be nice to add it to our business plan.

Cougardebo

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Can you add the HP 14 to Verizon's Network? I have the HP 11 G2 and it's nice to add it to our Verizon Share Everything plan. I like the specs and the screen size, so it would be nice to add it to our business plan.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that you can't use it on Verizon. I've seen posts describing how you can put an AT&T SIM card in, but I don't think Verizon is compatible. The HP 14 doesn't have LTE--it relies on HSPA+, which Verizon doesn't use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy