Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dryophila
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default file transfer between android and chromebook

I want to transfer pictures between my phone and my chromebook.

First I pluged it with a usb, nothing hapend! (Why does not a dialog box or a link in the "files" apear?)

Second I tryed some wifi-apps but when I try to surf to the url (for example 192.168.0.104:8888) Chrome can't find it.

I want to transfer some GB at a time (many times) between the SD-card on the S4 and a external harddrive at the CB. I don't want to send it to Google drive/dropbox.

Whar to do? Give up android for mac?

/Torbjörn (Sweden, sorry for the spelling)

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Default Re: file transfer between android and chromebook

You can host pretty much any file on a ton of cloud storage services, of which have apps for Android, and of course, have web pages.

Google Drive
    Microsoft One(Sky)Drive
    Dropbox
    Box
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, I have a backup on dropbox. The problem is that I want to copy several GB many times. My phone and my computer is in a 20 cm distance, there is a USB-connection between them, and a wifi that both are connected to, Google has made the OS on both of them. Why do I have to send my stuff half around the world anyway?
    Obed Vazquez likes this.

Thumbs down Re: file transfer between android and chromebook

Really?! you are the only one that I have found with the same problem than me!
    this is really frustrating, my WiFi doesn't allow to upload big files and i just want them in my phone! seems that is impossible!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm having this same stupid problem. Why can't I take a playlist from chromebook and slap it on an sd card. This is so backwards I'm half expecting it to fling it's own pooh at me any minute now.

Wtf were google thinking when they put this together!!!

Hi all please link both of your device to the same WIFI hotspot.
    Making sure sure one of ur device(android mobile or tablet) got an apps called "wifi file transfer", than you run the apps to generate IP address and ur chromebook web browser is typed it with the same generated IP.

Thanks

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I find that the MTP interface in Chrome OS is a little buggy. It was only introduced relatively recently, so they may still have to tweak it.

On my HP Chromebook 14, if I connect my Nexus 5 via USB, it doesn't always show up immediately (and of course, make sure the phone's screen is unlocked). Sometimes I have to unplug the phone, then plug it back in again. After it shows up in the Chrome OS Files app, it can take a little while for any of the phone directories to populate. When I looked in the /DCIM/Camera directory using the Chrome OS Files app, at first it showed the spinning circle for a good 20-30 seconds or so. Then I closed out the Files app, and then opened it again. By the time I selected Nexus 5>DCIM>Camera again, all of my photos were now available. Dragging and dropping them to my Chromebook's Downloads folder was pretty quick.

So what I can suggest is to try plugging the phone in a few times, and be patient once it's in. Hopefully the Chrome OS team continues to improve this function.