file transfer between android and chromebook

Dryophila

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I want to transfer pictures between my phone and my chromebook.

First I pluged it with a usb, nothing hapend! (Why does not a dialog box or a link in the "files" apear?)

Second I tryed some wifi-apps but when I try to surf to the url (for example 192.168.0.104:8888) Chrome can't find it.

I want to transfer some GB at a time (many times) between the SD-card on the S4 and a external harddrive at the CB. I don't want to send it to Google drive/dropbox.

Whar to do? Give up android for mac?

/Torbj?rn (Sweden, sorry for the spelling)

Slaytor Z

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
You can host pretty much any file on a ton of cloud storage services, of which have apps for Android, and of course, have web pages.

Google Drive
Microsoft One(Sky)Drive
Dropbox
Box

Dryophila

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have a backup on dropbox. The problem is that I want to copy several GB many times. My phone and my computer is in a 20 cm distance, there is a USB-connection between them, and a wifi that both are connected to, Google has made the OS on both of them. Why do I have to send my stuff half around the world anyway?

Obed Vazquez

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Really?! you are the only one that I have found with the same problem than me!
this is really frustrating, my WiFi doesn't allow to upload big files and i just want them in my phone! seems that is impossible!

Chappers 20000

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm having this same stupid problem. Why can't I take a playlist from chromebook and slap it on an sd card. This is so backwards I'm half expecting it to fling it's own pooh at me any minute now.

Wtf were google thinking when they put this together!!!

sexy mother frogger

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi all please link both of your device to the same WIFI hotspot.
Making sure sure one of ur device(android mobile or tablet) got an apps called "wifi file transfer", than you run the apps to generate IP address and ur chromebook web browser is typed it with the same generated IP.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I'm late to this thread. I find that the MTP interface in Chrome OS is a little buggy. It was only introduced relatively recently, so they may still have to tweak it.

On my HP Chromebook 14, if I connect my Nexus 5 via USB, it doesn't always show up immediately (and of course, make sure the phone's screen is unlocked). Sometimes I have to unplug the phone, then plug it back in again. After it shows up in the Chrome OS Files app, it can take a little while for any of the phone directories to populate. When I looked in the /DCIM/Camera directory using the Chrome OS Files app, at first it showed the spinning circle for a good 20-30 seconds or so. Then I closed out the Files app, and then opened it again. By the time I selected Nexus 5>DCIM>Camera again, all of my photos were now available. Dragging and dropping them to my Chromebook's Downloads folder was pretty quick.

So what I can suggest is to try plugging the phone in a few times, and be patient once it's in. Hopefully the Chrome OS team continues to improve this function.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
why I have to this, I if connect my Nexus 5 to my win pc, It works right the way, I can transfer / copy pics and files. So why Chromebook and android don't work well? surprising.

Welcome to Android Central! As I mentioned above, this function had only been relatively recently introduced, so I wasn't too surprised that there was some glitchniess. Considering that Chrome OS updates get pushed out about once or twice a month, I would imagine it's smoother now (although I haven't tried it recently).

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would upload the pictures from the smartphone to Google Drive and then download the pictures from Google Drive to the chromebook.

I should note that taking up much of the chromebook's hard drive space with photos may not be ideal. If you merely upload the photos to Google Drive you'll be able to view the photos on the chromebook any time you have an internet connection.

User-1

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Reply is to B. Diddy

This is scaring me!

It looks like this would be the best way to transfer pics or < 1GB of files from the Nexus 5 (6.0.1) to the Chromebook. The only problem is that Chrome OS files app never "sees" the phone connected to the Chromebook. I have tried all 3 USB ports and same results. I do get feedback from my phone stating that it's charging slowly when it connects to the Chromebook, but nothing from the Chromebook.

I too am trying to transfer a large group of pics from Android phone to Chromebook. No luck so far!