Chromebook Discussion

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I forget--have you contacted either Google Chromebook support it MLB.TV support?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I still cannot get MLB.TV video to play on my Chromebook. Anybody have any ideas or anything at all?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Found this on a Reddit post...

Media Center | MLB.com: Multimedia
Use this link to use the older media player that is compatible with our chrome OS. Many linux and windows users have had issues with the new player so the old one is still available. It works great on my ubuntu laptop and chromebook with the older player.

EDIT: Just to add, a while ago I had a similar issue with Slingplayer. If anyone is experiencing the same thing, here is a link for Sling's embedded player, which works great on Chromebook: http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
More details were released about Asus' two upcoming chromebooks. One will have a 11.6" screen and 2GB of RAM, the other will have a 13.3" screen and 4GB of RAM. Both will be powered by Intel Bay Trail Celeron (or Atom?) processors; the smaller model will be $250 and the larger model will be $350.

The Asus chromebooks are scheduled to be released later this month.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
More details were released about Asus' two upcoming chromebooks. One will have a 11.6" screen and 2GB of RAM, the other will have a 13.3" screen and 4GB of RAM. Both will be powered by Intel Bay Trail Celeron (or Atom?) processors; the smaller model will be $250 and the larger model will be $350.

I already have the HP but I'm really interested in Asus' 13" model as well. Will have to see how they execute.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

The processors seem to be a step down from the C720 Haswell...which is kind of disappointing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in day to day performance, or if the main difference will just be absence of a fan.

Keith Kageff

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the HP 14 and the keyboard is nice. The touch pad is the best i've used on any laptop. As for the not being able to do business stuff with google. The company i work for is big and we use google docs and gmail. We still use office for editing excel and word files and the like but the docs are all in google docs. It does get slow sometimes with huge spreadsheets and it is a bit buggy, but it can be done. Much better for colaberation than office, but does get frustrating when spreadsheets get big. Much better than sharing a huge excel doc and getting locked out of the doc because someone forgot and left the doc open. As for Windows, I use it for less and less these days....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the HP 14 and the keyboard is nice. The touch pad is the best i've used on any laptop. As for the not being able to do business stuff with google. The company i work for is big and we use google docs and gmail. We still use office for editing excel and word files and the like but the docs are all in google docs. It does get slow sometimes with huge spreadsheets and it is a bit buggy, but it can be done. Much better for colaberation than office, but does get frustrating when spreadsheets get big. Much better than sharing a huge excel doc and getting locked out of the doc because someone forgot and left the doc open. As for Windows, I use it for less and less these days....

Welcome to Android Central! I just saw reconditioned HP 14's on sale at Woot.com for $199--so tempted to get one, but I already have an Acer C720! Does your HP 14 have LTE?

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in day to day performance, or if the main difference will just be absence of a fan.

I think that's hard to say, but I personally think the performance difference will be modest at most.

The big benefit of using an Intel Bay Trail processor in a Chrome OS device is that it (at least theoretically) viably allows you to build Chrome OS devices in form factors where fans create problems because they add weight or width. Chromepads become a possibility with processors that don't require fans.

Last edited:

Keith Kageff

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I just saw reconditioned HP 14's on sale at Woot.com for $199--so tempted to get one, but I already have an Acer C720! Does your HP 14 have LTE?

It has the sim card yes, it not LTE though, it is HSPA+. It is "4g" (4g but not as fast as LTE). It is handy, has the lifetime free T-mobile 200mb/month. I just bought the HP11 as well. Traded in an old laptop and got $100 off. The screen on the HP11 is IPS and it looks amazing! So... now i have 2 Chromebooks... why... the HP14 just doesn't seem as portable as I'd hoped.... the HP11 is very portable. Almost got the 4g LTE version, but I didn't want to activate a new 2yr plan at around $40/month.

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the Slingbox link as well. Just got a Slingbox yesterday.

EDIT: Just to add, a while ago I had a similar issue with Slingplayer. If anyone is experiencing the same thing, here is a link for Sling's embedded player, which works great on Chromebook: Slingbox Player

The Asus Chromebox I cannot find in stock anywhere. I'm not sure if that's because it's that popular or availability is just that bad.

- - - Updated - - -

The processors seem to be a step down from the C720 Haswell...which is kind of disappointing.

I would give up power for more battery life as long as I can still get done what I need to.

Is your company implementing Chromebooks or still on Windows machines?

With being a big company does Docs give you everything you need or are there features it is missing?

EDIT: Just to add, a while ago I had a similar issue with Slingplayer. If anyone is experiencing the same thing, here is a link for Sling's embedded player, which works great on Chromebook: Slingbox Player

I just got a Slingbox yesterday, good timing.

How is the quality streaming to your Chromebook? The discoloration in mine is horrible while streaming. It's only bad on the Chromebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I just got a Slingbox yesterday, good timing.

How is the quality streaming to your Chromebook? The discoloration in mine is horrible while streaming. It's only bad on the Chromebook.

Seems fine on mine, but have only used it a handful of times.

I also have a friend who connects to my Slingbox frequently, and it seems to work fine on his end as well. He has an HP11 and I have a C720. My slingbox is an older SOLO model.

Jess Teren

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone having issues with using google play on the acer c720? Im getting a little frustrated with trying to use it and it keeps telling me I need android, however it should work regardless because its all google and it was preinstalled.. I may be posting in the wrong forum for this but its my first time to the site and still finding my way around.

To dhkmwilliams
I had a similar issue. It drove me crazy because the instructions are so few.. have u tried going into ur router to see what IP the printer is set to? Type the IP into the address bar and if the printer is wifi ready it should give u a dashboard. In that it should have in one of the menus whrere u have check mark to register. Once u do that the printer should show up in google where u can link it to the account. Im not sure if thats what the other person was telling u or not, but thats the only way ive been able to get mine to hook up. Also if it doesnt print u may have to do this again if the router reassigns a new IP.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having issues with using google play on the acer c720? Im getting a little frustrated with trying to use it and it keeps telling me I need android, however it should work regardless because its all google and it was preinstalled.. I may be posting in the wrong forum for this but its my first time to the site and still finding my way around.

Welcome to Android Central! What problems are you having with Google Play? You shouldn't have any problems purchasing music, books, or videos and accessing them on your Chromebook. But remember that the apps are only for Android devices. You can use Google Play on your Chromebook to purchase those apps and choose which of your Android devices to install to, but you can't use the apps on your Chromebook.

If you want apps for your Chromebook, go to the Chrome Web Store at Chrome.Google.com/webstore. Most of them are links to web-based apps, but some of them are standalone.

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Google Play? Do you mean the Chrome Web Store by chance?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google Play? Do you mean the Chrome Web Store by chance?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I suspect the person is mistakenly thinking that Android apps can run on a Chromebook.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums. Could you elaborate, please?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app