Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromebook: highest screen resolutions - options?

which chromebook currently has the highest screen resolution?
    1366x768 is too low for me, so need something higher - on a 13" or 14" screen.

chromebook pixel is way out of budget so that one isn't an option - much that i would like it.

Default Re: Chromebook: highest screen resolutions - options?

The upcoming Samsung Chromebook 2 will be full HD: Samsung's Chromebook 2 made official: stitched leather and ARM processors | Android Central

Everything else (including those with 13" screens like the HP and Toshiba) are 1366x768.

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts

Yeah, outside of the Pixel and Samsung's upcoming 1080p chromebook, 1366x768 is the best you'll get. You might consider docking to an external monitor. I've docked my chromebook to a 1080p LED and it is pretty gorgeous.

True, that!

Global Posts
    22,254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Mine does have a nice screen.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    Yeah, outside of the Pixel and Samsung's upcoming 1080p chromebook, 1366x768 is the best you'll get. You might consider docking to an external monitor. I've docked my chromebook to a 1080p LED and it is pretty gorgeous.
    kinda defeats the purpose

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts

As was already noted, the upcoming 13.3" version of the Samsung Chromebook 2 (which will have 1920 by 1080 resolution) is your best bet. That device will be released in April and will cost $400 in the U.S.
    Android smartphones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid 2
    Android tablets: Asus Transformer Pad TF300T 16GB with keyboard dock
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

the UK price will probably make it uneconomical, as with all things it'll probably end up 400 which puts it against windows laptops.

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chenks View Post
    the UK price will probably make it uneconomical, as with all things it'll probably end up 400 which puts it against windows laptops.
    Which Windows laptops have 1920 by 1080 resolution screens and cost 400 pounds?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    Which Windows laptops have 1920 by 1080 resolution screens and cost 400 pounds?
    a few with resolution higher than 1366x768 that are sub 400.
    not 1080p but still higher than 1366x768, which is all i asked for.
    and the windows laptops come with higher local storage.

at that price, a chromebook loses it's raison d'etre

I thought the Chromebook's raison d'etre was its simplicity.

Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
    I thought the Chromebook's raison d'etre was its simplicity.
    within a price point.
    the macbook air is simplicity but it's not in the same price range as a chromebook.

But here are a few disadvantages of Windows laptops--even the more expensive ones:

• Longer startup time.
    • Shorter battery life.
    • Bloat.
    • Security concerns that necessitate installing an antivirus program that can bog the system down.
    • Generally heavier, unless you pay 2-3 times as much for a light ultrabook.

Lots of permanent local storage is something that isn't necessary for everyone, especially with 100 GB of Google Drive space. Obviously, there will be some people who do need it for various reasons, but for lots of casual (and not so casual) users, I think Chromebooks really fit the bill. And I can't emphasize enough that $200 for a 16 GB Acer C720 is such a huge value. I've been using this thing daily, and have had no need for any more than 16 GB of local storage.

within a price point.
    the macbook air is simplicity but it's not in the same price range as a chromebook.
    Who says it is only within a price point? Chromebooks are essentially a Google product, therefore it is Google that decides the reason they exist and they decided to create the Chromebook Pixel which is in the same price range as the Macbook Air.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

OK, so brining this discussion back to life.
    ignoring the Samsung Chromebook 2 (because it isn't actually out yet), what is the best spec chromebook (also ignoring the pixel) currently on the market.
    i realise they are all going to be 1366x768 most likely.

I'd go with the ones that have an Intel Haswell processor, which is better than the Samsung Exynos processor (and much better than the old Celeron 1007 processor). So that would be the 11" Acer C720, the HP Chromebook 14, the 13" Toshiba Chromebook, and the 11" Dell Chromebook. They all have the same 1366x768 resolution. All of them also have 2 GB of RAM, except the HP 14, which comes in 2 GB and 4 GB versions (I believe the latter also has 4G connectivity). The Acer C720 used to have a 4 GB version, but I think Acer discontinued it. 2 GB of RAM is really all you need anyway.

If you want a Chromebook with the best screen and the best connectivity, go with the HP Chromebook 14. If you want the best bang for your buck, get the Acer C720.
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ok so i've read a review on the new samsung chromebook 2 with the 1080p display and it seems the display is actually pretty crappy.
    performance seems to be a bit iffy also.

the acer c720p looks good but only a 11" screen.
    so it seem you have get great performance but small screen, or big screen but poor performance.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

ok so i've read a review on the new samsung chromebook 2 with the 1080p display and it seems the display is actually pretty crappy.
    performance seems to be a bit iffy also.

the acer c720p looks good but only a 11" screen.
    so it seem you have get great performance but small screen, or big screen but poor performance.
    Where have you seen a review of the Chrome book 2?

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

That is disappointing. I expected the screen wouldn't be great given that it's a TN, but the weak performance and battery life is a no go.
    And given the lack of high resolution screens announced at the Intel roll out a couple of weeks ago it seems the best course in the short term is to go with one of the current Gen and then see what next year brings. These things are so inexpensive that a frequent upgrade schedule is very feasible.

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts

I saw the same review on Computer World by JR Raphael (who may be the most pro-chromebook tech blogger on the internet), and I was really disappointed by the performance and battery life of Samsung's new eight-core processor in the 13.3" version of the Samsung Chromebook 2. The non-IPS display also was a negative. I really, really wanted to buy this, but I think I'm going to pass. (Incidentally, I'm the guy named "CLM3Chip" in the comments for Computer World review article.)

You'd think it would be easy for OEMs to manufacture a true mid-level chromebook that has no or at least minimal compromises on about 7-8 key features (screen resolution, display, sound, battery life, real world speed, weight, and keyboard/trackpad quality), but you'd be wrong. As I noted in the review comments for the Computer World article, whoever manufactures the first true mid-level chromebook will clean up.

The resolution isn't the most important thing to me. I would really just like Intel hardware and an ips display. Is that so difficult? 1600x900 at 13" would be great, but I'd be happy with 1366x768 if it were ips.

I've been considering picking up a cheap Zenbook from Craigslist and changing the os. Just waiting for the right one.

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts

I wish they'd bring back 16:10 aspect ratios and go with a 1440x900 resolution. This resolution looked ~great~ and provided ample opportunity for work. AFAIK Apple is one of the only vendors that still provides 16:10. For me it would be an acceptable alternative to 1080p.

The only chromebook outside of the Pixel with halfway decent screen technology is the HP Chromebook 11 which has an IPS display, again 1366x768 and a paltry 11'' - with two year old internals. I believe chromebook vendors are missing the boat by not pushing out some more luxury minded chromebooks but I suppose they will come. The platform has really picked up Steam and there are tons of devices hitting this year. Either the whole thing will blow up or vendors will start trying to release some more premium devices in order to differentiate themselves.

I'm hoping for the latter since I love Chrome OS.

Of the devices that are at market now, the HP Chromebook 14 4 GB model with 4G T-Mobile is one of the better models. Again bad screen resolution and technology (terrible viewing angles!) but the physical build of the machine is decent, with a nice molded plastic cover that is good for gripping (great for me since my hands are all jacked up from diabetes), and a nice 14'' display. In terms of raw performance it has better power than the Samsung 2 though the 2 hasn't really been on the street long enough for better real world comparisons.

If you're a power user like me and are looking to load up Linux and so forth on your Chromebook, the HP 14 is where it's at for now. The one "fault" is the relatively modest 16 GB SSD though the drive is user-replacable and the procedure can be googled on the net.

If you want a true media machine though and not just a streaming box that doubles as a laptop, you might do well to look at a Wintel or Apple machine.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

My guess is that we won't see broad adoption of higher res screens until after apple upgrades the MBA. That will then become the standard against which other machines are judged.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

another chromebook 2 review, this time by this website.
    Samsung Chromebook 2 (13-inch) hands-on and first impressions | Android Central
    gives a slightly more positive review.

i also just read one on engadget which agrees with the poor display from the other review.
    wondering if the androidpolice reviewer was looking at it using special glasses or something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast