Samsung Chromebook 2 or Acer C720??

Paul Moody

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using (and loving in every way) my Acer C710, dual os with Ubuntu Cinnamon. And it's probably the best computer I have ever owned. But, when it comes to me updating it, these are the choices I'm presented with. Any thoughts??

Posted via Android Central App

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends on what you're looking for. The Acer C720 is a better version of the Acer C710; it is probably the best budget model chromebook available right now. (We'll see what Asus releases in the near future.) Having said that, I'm unsure you'd really need to upgrade from the Acer C710 if you want to buy the Acer C720. By contrast, the Samsung Chromebook 2 will be a more expensive and likely better model; both the 11.6" and 13.3" versions will have 4GB of RAM (there is a version of the Acer C720 that has 4 GB but it is hard to find) and the larger Samsung Chromebook 2 will also have a nicer screen. On the flip side, both models will be more expensive than the Acer C720 and also will have new, previously unused ARM processors; the latter difference is a real wild-card.

Considering you already have the Acer C710 and the Acer C720 wouldn't be that different, in your case I'd recommend buying the Samsung Chromebook 2.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree with Chip. The difference between the C720 and 710 will for the most part be negligible. I was interested in getting a Sammy Chromebook 2 as well, but I'm an engineering student, and I'd probably be better off with a laptop that can do more than the Chromebook. But for $400, the CB2 has some great specs. We'll see if it's as impressive in real world performance

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Paul Moody

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Very detailed, thanks for that. I was thinking of the touchscreen model of the C720, forgot to add that. Although I've also been thinking of the new Nexus 7.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought the Haswell CPU of the C720 was supposed to give significantly better performance than the basic Celeron of the C710. I've never been able to compare them head to head, and it's always so hard to assess performance in a store (given the usually lousy wi-fi they have there), but reviews have mentioned better performance, improved battery life, and a smaller & quieter fan.

By the way, the C720P has had a price drop to $249!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought the Haswell CPU of the C720 was supposed to give significantly better performance than the basic Celeron of the C710. I've never been able to compare them head to head, and it's always so hard to assess performance in a store (given the usually lousy wi-fi they have there), but reviews have mentioned better performance, improved battery life, and a smaller & quieter fan.

By the way, the C720P has had a price drop to $249!

Forgot that they used a Haswell-based CPU. Battery life should also be a lot better, so you're probably right that the difference is more noticeable. My bad

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith