Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Default Best option when using Chrome Remote Desktop

I currently have a 1st gen Samsung Chromebook, which has been great, but I'm ready for something a little more powerful.

As background, my 8 year old Lenovo recently started giving me some issues. Rather than buy a new laptop I set up all the Windows programs I needed on my media server and have been using Chrome Remote Desktop through the Chromebook (also hooked up to a 23" 1080p monitor) whenever I need to access one of said programs. For the most part it works well, but given that CRD is pretty processor intensive and its also driving a 23" 1080p screen I'm thinking something newer and more powerful would be better.

I guess what I need to know is whether one of the new celeron processors with 4 GB ram will be enough, or if I should go for one of the i3 machines. I'm also considering the Chromebox. My only hesitation there is that I lose portability, but with the Samsung still rocking along I could always revert to that if need be.

Any input or first hand experience using CRD on one of the new Chromebooks or Chromebox is appreciated.

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Default Re: Best option when using Chrome Remote Desktop

My guess is the i3 Dell Chromebook will be a speedy little machine that'll excel in Enterprise environments. You'll have to wait for any of these systems to come to market though so if you need a device right now, the Asus Chromebox is your best bet.

The Haswell celeron should be adequate with the real bottleneck being network latency but you will definitely see a difference between the i3 and the celeron.

Assuming you're only running one instance of the app, the RAM shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Posted via Android Central App
    rjl2 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Default Re: Best option when using Chrome Remote Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    My guess is the i3 Dell Chromebook will be a speedy little machine that'll excel in Enterprise environments. You'll have to wait for any of these systems to come to market though so if you need a device right now, the Asus Chromebox is your best bet.

The Haswell celeron should be adequate with the real bottleneck being network latency but you will definitely see a difference between the i3 and the celeron.

Assuming you're only running one instance of the app, the RAM shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanks for the input.

I'm not in any rush and things are working okay as is. As you note, the main issue now is availability of newer devices (other than the Chromebox).