Anyone Gone From the Acer C720 to a Samsung Chromebook 2?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for thoughts on this. I like the Acer - it does what I need, but it just doesn't look or feel premium. The Chromebook 2 (I'm looking at the 11.6") is around $300 on Amazon. I figure I can probably resell my perfect condition Acer and have to pay out around $150 for the Chromebook 2. Has anyone switched between them? I'm ok with the screen, but I don't want some huge drop in performance going to Samsung's own processor. As long as performance is comparable, I think the more premium feel of the Chromebook 2 is what I'm looking for. So if anyone has any opinions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for the Samsung, but I recently got an HP Chromebook 14 (the one with the Haswell processor, not the 1st generation Pavilion Chromebook), and it's pretty nicely put together. Definitely feels more premium than the Acer, with better internals (same Haswell processor, but 4 GB RAM and 32 GB SSD). Also free T-Mobile HSPA+ mobile data 200 MB/mo for life. You can find refurbished units (like mine) in various places for around $220-240--I know Walmart.com has them.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for the Samsung, but I recently got an HP Chromebook 14 (the one with the Haswell processor, not the 1st generation Pavilion Chromebook), and it's pretty nicely put together. Definitely feels more premium than the Acer, with better internals (same Haswell processor, but 4 GB RAM and 32 GB SSD). Also free T-Mobile HSPA+ mobile data 200 MB/mo for life. You can find refurbished units (like mine) in various places for around $220-240--I know Walmart.com has them.

I was looking for a smaller one, around the same size as the Acer, so I really didn't want the 13-14" ones. But thanks for the reply. I read a review on Amazon and they claimed that it was at least as fast as the Acer, and felt more premium, so that's what I was going for. I got it on Amazon, so I'll have 30 days to return it if I notice it's painfully slow or has issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see. Let us know what your experience is like!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see. Let us know what your experience is like!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
Ok, so I know it's been a little while, but here's my mini review of the differences:

Either of the Samsung Chromebooks feel like MacBooks compared to the Acer. Build on every aspect is light years ahead. Even the screen on the 11.6 looks better. They just feel (and look) like much more expensive machines. Where the problem lies is in performance. Both of the Samsung Chromebooks are considerably slower than the Acer. You can see it on almost any page in Chrome. The 13 is much worse than the 11.6. I'd assume because of the extra screen size and resolution. The 11.6 had much better performance than the 13 and was more on par with the Acer.

So basically, as long as you are OK with a little slow down, go with Samsung, because they're both better on every other front. But if you want something cheap, that works quickly with no stutters anywhere, go with Acer. Otherwise I'm going with Samsung here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084