Streaming with a Chromebook

evotz

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Will a Chromebook stream TV shows from cbs.com, tntdrama.com, espn3.com, etc? Will they run the native android apps? Or just through the websites? In the case of espn3.com, DirecTV doesn't yet have access to the WatchESPN app, but my ISP offers ESPN3.com, so I can't use the WatchESPN app. Android tablets and phones don't support Adobe Flash, do they? Do Chromebooks?

The reason I ask, I have an Acer desktop computer running Windows 8, it has an intel J1900 processor, and it struggles to stream the shows on my TV. I see that most of the Chromebooks are using Celeron processors. Will those processors be powerful enough to stream HD quality TV shows and ESPN3?

Is plugging a Chromebook or other computer up directly with an HDMI cable better than using a Chromecast? I have the Acer computer hooked up directly with an HDMI cable and it still struggles. I would imagine casting a tab with the Chromecast would be even worse.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'll have to check out those sites on my Chromebook when I get home from work. At this time, there are only 4 Android apps that officially work on Chromebooks, and none of them are streaming video. Hopefully, the number of compatible apps will increase quickly, but it's still in its infancy.

Plugging a Chromebook into an HDTV via HDMI might work better than Chromecast, especially if your wi-fi network isn't very fast, or your router or access points aren't very fast. But if the Chromebook doesn't have a very powerful processor (like some of the older Exynos or Celeron processors), it might have a little problem with the larger hi-res screen.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I've run into some compatibility issues with streaming websites. Dish Network comes to mind as their streaming services will not work on my chromebook. ESPN 3, MLB.tv, NFL Rewind, and CBS have all worked for me.

Chromebooks have a flash plug-in baked into the OS so you won't have issues with YouTube, etc.