Please help me understand "signing in" for SD card file access

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, new to Chromebook, although I have always been a big fan of Google and Android I was hesitant to make the Chromebook my main "laptop", all has gone well for months but I think I have found my first hangup. Hopefully I can explain my issue well enough.

I figured if I have files (docs) save to my SD card I could access them simply by being signed into the machine, regardless of being contected to the internet or being signed into a Google account via Chrome browser. But when I try to access one of the documents I have saved on my SD card (through the stock files app) it seems to prompt me to sign into a Google account via the Chrome browser and denies me access unless I do so. Is the system really made to require you to sign in online to access file on storage within the machin? Is there a way around this or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you open the Files app, are you selecting the SD card, and not the "My Drive"? "My Drive" accesses your Google Drive, and requires a sign-in; the SD card shouldn't.

Also, are you actually logged in on your Chromebook to your Google account, or are you signed in as a guest?

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
When you open the Files app, are you selecting the SD card, and not the "My Drive"? "My Drive" accesses your Google Drive, and requires a sign-in; the SD card shouldn't.

Also, are you actually logged in on your Chromebook to your Google account, or are you signed in as a guest?

I am logged into the Chromebook, and yes I am clearly under the SD card under the Files app, but it still prompts me to sign in on a Chrome tab.

Guess I am not the only one who believes it shouldn't require a web sign in for SD files.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen for any file on an SD card, or just that one particular one? What kind of file is it, and what was used to create it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be due to the fact that it's a Google Doc file. Try saving the file as a different format, like a Word document.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol