suggestions for a first time Chromebook user

beatsandlife

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been wanting a laptop for some time. With the affordable price points, I feel that a Chromebook is cost effective for me at the moment.

Can anyone give me some insight on what I should purchase? I've heard that the machines with a Tegra processor are a no go.

Thanks in advance!

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, Chromebooks with the Tegra K1 are good, but not quite as fast as some of the Intel-powered ones. But one of the advantages of the K1 is that it doesn't require a fan.

Although Chromebooks with 2 GB RAM will be fine for most light-to-moderate work, you should err on the side of getting one with 4 GB, which is notably better if you want to have more than 4 or 5 active tabs open. SSDs are typically 16 GB or 32 GB--unless you plan on saving lots of large videos locally on your Chromebook, I think 16 GB is actually fine (since you'll be using Google Drive more often).

Many people agree that the Toshiba Chromebook 2 is one of the best available right now, mostly because it has one of the best screens. Acer has been in this arena for a while, and tends to make solid devices. I have an HP Chromebook 14, which is high quality. Samsung made the first Chromebooks, but they usually lose points for lackluster performance, due to the Exynos CPU. Asus also seems to get somewhat middling reviews.

One of the great things about Chromebooks is that they're so inexpensive--so it's really hard to make a huge mistake with any of them. Good luck!

beatsandlife

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
From what I've read, Chromebooks with the Tegra K1 are good, but not quite as fast as some of the Intel-powered ones. But one of the advantages of the K1 is that it doesn't require a fan.

Although Chromebooks with 2 GB RAM will be fine for most light-to-moderate work, you should err on the side of getting one with 4 GB, which is notably better if you want to have more than 4 or 5 active tabs open. SSDs are typically 16 GB or 32 GB--unless you plan on saving lots of large videos locally on your Chromebook, I think 16 GB is actually fine (since you'll be using Google Drive more often).

Many people agree that the Toshiba Chromebook 2 is one of the best available right now, mostly because it has one of the best screens. Acer has been in this arena for a while, and tends to make solid devices. I have an HP Chromebook 14, which is high quality. Samsung made the first Chromebooks, but they usually lose points for lackluster performance, due to the Exynos CPU. Asus also seems to get somewhat middling reviews.

One of the great things about Chromebooks is that they're so inexpensive--so it's really hard to make a huge mistake with any of them. Good luck!

Great! Thanks for your input!

Posted via the Android Central App

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Toshiba chromebook 2 since December and I'm very happy with it. The reviews are very accurate in my experience. Great screen, good keyboard and TouchPad. Battery life is so so, about 7 hours browsing, about 6 when streaming video. It handles multiple tabs well, and is smooth, but not blazingly fast. I definitely recommend it.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy