I just don't get the point

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get the point of chrome books. A crippled device the cannot work unless you have an Internet connection, and can't run any real programs such as photoshop, libre office, word, etc. 16 gb of storage, 2gb of ram, less useful than a decent Windows laptop. What is the point of these devices? A real laptop and tab s2 does it all.
Just in case there weren't enough convincing posts....

Many laptops and tablets have their usages reduced without internet connection. Without internet, I would rather go to my 11" Win 10 laptop instead, as I can still do no small # of games, programs (e.g. IDLE for some quick Python programming), documents (Google Office is just fine, but I prefer M$ Office for stuff for heavier formatting, and offline stuff that I can manipulate the actual files), and similar stuff. I've only got an 80 GB SSD there, so I try not to keep any multimedia unless it's work-ish related. Still being offline, I'd go to my iPad for games.

Google Docs does work for the more than enough folks. As for Photoshop, the scroogled ads that's on TV or videos are amusing because even though a group of 2 people were taken aback how Chromebooks can't run Photoshop nor Illustrator, I'm guessing that was out of at least 10 people who wanted to use Photoshop on the road. Why do you have a Tab S2 if that can't run Photoshop then?

The 16 GB of storage can be a bit of a sticking point, but most rely on Google's integration of apps and cloud storage for all of that. I keep some image and PDF files locally for easy access, but they're only several MB each in size, so I'm still sitting pretty there. Nice thing here is there are USB ports for external hardrives, and a micro SD card slot for external storage.

2 GB RAM isn't that big of a deal breaker. Chrome OS is designed to run on lower specs. That said, I use an HP Chromebook 14 with 2 GB of system RAM, and have gotten error messages on browser tabs saying the system ran out of memory. I make sure to close tabs I don't need to be left open. On a scale of 0 through 5 with 5 being a deal breaker, that's about a 1.5 in severity. I wish it had more RAM, but still a long way to go for me to stop using it

decent laptop. BTW, that same "scroogled" campaign mentioned you could get a Windows 10 laptop for as little as $300, or was it $400? I highly doubt you'd want to run Photoshop on such a laptop, assuming it's even possible... PS needs more resources than not, not to mention a larger screen is better. You can also use a dock, but then that cuts down on mobility, which is "a few strikes" against it.

Real laptop + tab s2 is now 2 devices you gotta lug around.

I bought a refurbished HP Chromebook 14 since it was only $190 shipped. That was cheap enough for me to try it out, even if it didn't work out. As suspected, I found an app to program in Python, but it required me being online. There may be offline alternatives, but it's not a priority. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to run a Unity nor Android Studio equivalent on it (and actual, I doubt my win10 laptop could either, but that was also a low price point). The CB's mostly a consumption device that can do low to mid-low productivity. Doing just that, it excels, and to me, it's a joy to use.

Typing in internet forums, and documents is much nicer with an actual keyboard. It has smart gestures on the trackpad to scroll, switch tabs, and go back/forward quickly. Google products of course do work well with it. I'm reading an ebook for a certification, and it saves where I'm at when I exit. I check an option to make it for reading offline. I use Google Documents to take notes.

My woes are few, but they are there.... no smart gesture for zooming.... you gotta press Ctrl+= or Ctrl+- for that. I've had the thing restart on me without warning. I had to reopen webpages, but Google Office stuff should be retained (I didn't have to find out the hard way). I've brought up low memory errors.

Education was brought up, and that's a sector where CB's took 50% marketshare within a few short years. Windows laptops lost about 15% market share, while iPads lost half their share, down to about 23%? The lower specs make it cheaper per unit. There are tools that let staff admin them, set up stuff, and share stuff without having full blown IT knowledge and being too time consuming. Having stuff on the cloud means it's more sharable and backed up. Multiple user profiles means if one student loses or breaks their CB, they can be issued another one, and get back and running swiftly. As a bonus, CBs aren't as valuable as win laptops, And tablets, and ipads, so kids are less likely to steal them, or pawn them.

Last edited:

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I use the S2 to read books, read the Guardian, Times of India,Yahoo, Fox News, and surf the net. My laptop is my daughters old Compaq which has Mint Linux on it, and is good enough for me. My quad core desktop with 5 tb storage is my Photoshop machine. As for the Chromebook, the kids like it, and they can do their homework on it, check school email, etc. Its good enough for them but they whine, and I mean whine about no iTunes....

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Well the oldest got a new laptop battery, put the hard drive back into place, and voila! her laptop works, and the Chromebook got put away ("I can't do anything on it Dad!, I can't play SIMS, or use my iTunes!") The youngest wants me to put NetFlix on it so she can take it around the house watching movies (No!), But I suspect it will gather dust as the battery slowly dies from non use.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
For < $40 I added a 128GB USB3 memory stick to my Toshiba Chromebook 2. The memory stick is tiny (the size of a wireless mouse receiver), so I keep it plugged it all the time. So I have plenty of local storage.

Amazon.com: Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fit (MUF-128BB/AM): Computers & Accessories

I think the dimensions are a typo? 4 x 6 x 0.1"? I think they meant 0.4 by 0.6?

Not too shabby. If you have Costco membership, you can buy Lexar brand... $25 for 128 GB, or $20 for two 32 GB.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
The wife has adopted it to watch YouTube, and other than that, it's pretty useless IMO. Light, pretty, and other than watching YouTube, reading emails, or web surfing, that's kind of all you can do on it. I played with it the other day for several hours and left unimpressed at the end of that time.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Well the oldest got a new laptop battery, put the hard drive back into place, and voila! her laptop works, and the Chromebook got put away ("I can't do anything on it Dad!, I can't play SIMS, or use my iTunes!") The youngest wants me to put NetFlix on it so she can take it around the house watching movies (No!), But I suspect it will gather dust as the battery slowly dies from non use.

The simple answer to the iTunes issue is to upload your iTunes music collection to Google Music.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I have a hard time imagining that my chromebook will ever replace my windows laptop. That shouldn't be surprising. My laptop didn't replace the linux server that I run also. Each piece of computing in my house serves different functions and they don't *have* *to* *replace* each other. For me the standard isn't if a chromebook can do everything a windows laptop can do. It's what can it do that a windows laptop can't do? And for me there are three features of a chromebook that I've just not found anywhere else:

1. Incredibly inexpensive
  2. Fantastic battery life
  3. Boot and be usable almost instantly
That helps me, for example when I'm wanting to keep a recipe on a screen while in the kitchen. I do not have to worry about battery. I don't have to worry about size. It's just simpler on my chromebook than on my laptop.

Does that mean that I can do everything with my chromebook? Of course not. There's an enormous number of apps that I have my windows laptop that I still use regularly. For example, I play online poker. Can't do that on my chromebook. But my chromebook still helps because when I have to go to the bathroom, I can remote control my laptop and avoid missing a hand.

For portability, I find myself turning to my chromebook much more often than my laptop. And that makes my life a little bit better.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I like the idea of the memory stick for the Chromebook. The kids love it for YouTube, NetFlix (Yes, I got voluntold by She Who Must be Obeyed to add it), or surf the net. Essentially an expensive tablet with less storage, and fewer apps.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Kudos to B. Diddy, i couldn't have said it better myself and i own a macbook air and pro. Both great, but as an avid android phone lover, (presently a galaxy S7 edge & S6 edge), it'll be great having android on a chromebook.

Posted via Android Central App

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I was originally not getting the point of chromebooks either, but now that they are getting android apps I'm completely turned around. I was looking for a decent big android tablet and not really liking what I found, but this low priced asus flip really fits the bill for me.

Mike Jacobson

May 16, 2016
Visit site
For me a computer is a tool. Different jobs require different tools. Just as a mechanic requires different tools than a plumber and a plumber requires different tools than a doctor.
In my case, my company uses web based management software, documents, email, calendar etc. I can do everything my job requires on my chromebook. So the chromebook is the perfect tool for me. It's light, cheap, and fast enough.
I have a 17 inch macbook pro at home that has replaced my HP windows desktop machine as my main computer, it has all my files on it. I don't want to lug that heavy expensive macbook around if I don't need to, so the chromebook is my mobile computer while the macbook stays at home.
If I could only have one computer it probably wouldn't be a chromebook, but the chromebook fills a need and it is the computer I depend on most of the time.

Justin_1138

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't get the point of people who don't "get the point" of Chrome OS. :)

It's a cloud device so your docs, pics, web links live in Google's cloud. You don't need a lot of local storage then. And the OP has one with 2GB of RAM. My Toshiba Chromebook 2 has 4 GB's of RAM and was only $179 (bought from Toshiba via their ebay store). The thing boots up in like 2 seconds. With the SSD, at least 4 GB's of RAM, and lightweight OS, it becomes a budget powerhouse.

Plus throw in the added bonus of not really being a target of malware. Chromebooks are wonderful and are plenty enough of computer for 95% of normal computer use. Of course, an IT person or programmer or video/photo editor is not going to use it for work, but they may wanna use one after work.

Complaining about it because it won't run Photo Shop is silly. That's like buying a Honda Fit for your general everyday transportation needs, and then complaining that you can't haul a ton of construction materials in it as if it were a $60,000 Ford F450 Super Duty truck.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got an Acer Chromebook R11 a few days ago. So far I am nothing but impressed. I think it will end up replacing my very old HP Windows laptop. I have crouton and Ubuntu running on it as well. I see it being able to do everything I want it to do. Every time I use it I learn something new or discover a new app or chrome extension. I'm just going to need to buy a big SD card for storage one of these days so I can have all my music on it. A 256GB SD card will do once I see them go down in price a little, or stumble on a good deal for one. But so far after only a few days I'm impressed.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I see the value of Chromebooks for some folks. I have one. But if one is paying more than $400 or $500 I personally prefer a Windows 10 laptop running Chrome Browser with a SSD.

Perhaps once the Android apps come from Chromebook that will change my opinion.

Smart and experienced tech users RARELY end up with malware problems. And of late is appears many hacking problems have been due to phishing and folks are just as vulnerable to phishing on Chromebooks as Windows 10.

I will say that with Chromebooks folks don't have to worry about ransomware, but savvy users can easily avoid ransomware.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Getting Android apps would be another plus for me.

I think the make or break feature for Chromebooks will be how well Android Apps run. And that would especially be a strong selling point if Google is able to provide timely Android updates on Chromebooks and that all features of Android are supported.

If that happens and then Android app developers are able to build in touchpad and keyboard support and render the apps so that they display properly while still working well on phones could be a real difference maker.

I am anxiously waiting Android compatibility to roll out in the current release.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the make or break feature for Chromebooks will be how well Android Apps run. And that would especially be a strong selling point if Google is able to provide timely Android updates on Chromebooks and that all features of Android are supported.

If that happens and then Android app developers are able to build in touchpad and keyboard support and render the apps so that they display properly while still working well on phones could be a real difference maker.

I am anxiously waiting Android compatibility to roll out in the current release.

Was this just for you, or in general? In general, it seems to have a sizeable enough audience in the education sector, and the "net book" market. Currently, I can use my phone for Android apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia