Acer C720 Chromebook laggy

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My chromebook seems to be getting laggy. Sometimes stalls when trying to type, and choppy when scrolling web pages.

Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked for a system update? My Chromebooks sometimes get a little choppy when an update is being downloaded. I know that Chrome 50 is rolling out right now--my C720 just got it (but not my C740 or CB5).

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked for a system update? My Chromebooks sometimes get a little choppy when an update is being downloaded. I know that Chrome 50 is rolling out right now--my C720 just got it (but not my C740 or CB5).

huh interesting. I thought chromebooks would automatically alert you when an update was available.

I just went and checked and indeed there was an update. It took away my wallpaper, but I was able to get it back. Lets see if my CB functions better now.

Thanks for the suggestion

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought chromebooks would automatically alert you when an update was available.

Updates will usually download automatically. The notification you get when one is ready for installation is a solid white square with a black up arrow in the middle, in the notification area at the lower right of the screen (right next to your wi-fi indicator and clock).

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I knew that. That's why I was not aware of an available update. There's was no indication arrow there. I had to manually go into the settings and check for updates, and sure enough it said there was a system update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. That's happened to me before, but when I know an update is imminent, I start checking somewhat regularly--so I don't know what the usual interval is between when the update becomes available and when Chrome OS displays that notification. But it certainly shouldn't be on the order of several days to weeks. Guess it's just some kind of bug.:-\

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Same here.... Had one update pending, same issue as Diane, but went to check and there it was.

Now this did happen a while ago, and haven't seen this since.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am up to date now, but CB still laggy. Even typing this post the letters lag from keyboard to appearing on screen. Kinda frustrating to see yet another device that I loved for its snappy speed , starting to slow. My Note 2014 10.1 has issues too, seems like the universe of quick devices is against me

Maybe i will do a power wash and see if that helps

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with doing a Powerwash, then setting it up again. Of course, the beauty of the Chromebook is that this will take you all of about 5 minutes.:D

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with doing a Powerwash, then setting it up again. Of course, the beauty of the Chromebook is that this will take you all of about 5 minutes.:D

??????:) having flashbacks of reformatting a a windose pc, making sure music, docs, emails, pics, list of all essential programs and associated products keys, device drivers, etc were securely saved. Then hoping it all comes back together and you didn't forget anything

How lovely this is not the case with CB ;-)

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ok so just did the power wash, very easy, brought back all my extensions, even had memory of my wallpaper,hat I was able to select and all the thngs I had pinned to the shelf too. but loading this page seems to still be slow. I think its all the ads, which have become the scourge of the whole internet. But the typing seems to be more responsive now.

I guess keep a good thought..