Concerning Privacy: Chroot and it's discoverability

ViolentRockstar

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello fellow androidcentral-ers (?),

I currently find myself in a situation concerning the discoverability of crosh and chroots.
See, I'm in some kind of 'pilot-class' (as I call it) where everybody got to borrow a dell(candy) chromebook. Honestly it's been pretty useless so far, even my frickin' 3ds is capable doing more (useful) things.

To make the device (waaaaay) more useful I followed a guide on how to install a chroot on the device. After a month or two my kickass computer-science teacher gave me and my friends a heads-up that some unknown so-called 'chromebook hackers' were wanted for being a serious risk to schools administration-security. I myself believe that that would complete bollocks, but as the good (and cautious) boy I am, I informed my friends to delete the chroot and disable dev-mode, as I did so myself.

Now, about 6 months later after the dispute, there's no sign of us being wanted anymore and I'm still bummed about how useless the device is. I was wondering how discoverable chroot, and chromeos's crosh terminal itself is (would it even be possible for the ICT guys to see us excecuting commands?).
I'm obviously no chrome-expert and this is were you guys come in.
I am not interested in installing a chroot anymore, just java via crosh. This however requires dev-mode and I'm afraid that I'll be discovered again. It could just as well be that some kid told the ICT 'bout us.

So what'cha guys think?

Awaiting your responses, David

PS: Some of the device's functions are monitored by the ICT, but are only account-bound (if I were to log-in onto my own Google-account, the monotization is gone).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering how discoverable chroot, and chromeos's crosh terminal itself is (would it even be possible for the ICT guys to see us excecuting commands?).
ls is Linux' equivalent of dir. Chroot is a file that's as visible from ls as any other file, so they WOULD discover it. (Chroot doesn't actually compromise security, it enhances it. If the Chromebook belongs to the school, it's illegal to even put chroot on it (unauthorized computer access). If you own it, they can't tell you what utilities to have on it. (Chroot is part of a normal Linux installation - that Dell chose to not include it is Dell's problem.)

I am not interested in installing a chroot anymore, just java via crosh.
Crosh is Chrome Shell, and it's part of a Chromebook.

This however requires dev-mode and I'm afraid that I'll be discovered again.
Same thing. If it's their device, you can't fool with it. If it's yours they can't tell you what to run on it - except maybe "don't use Crosh to complete this assignment". (They can tell you to work out a math problem by hand, not by calculator, but they can't tell you not to own a very powerful calculator.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia