How do the Celeron and Rockchip processors compare on ChromeOS

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Considering a CB as my next laptop purchase, especially interested now that Google Play is coming. I can see no reason for my Windows machine after that.

Anyway, my question is regarding the lower end processors. I get that Chrome OS is lightweight, but how do these low end processors really perform on the platform in real world situations?

Does the Rockchip on the Asus Flip have enough horsepower to run Play apps? Does the low end nature of these CPUs manifest as lag like it does in Android etc?

Are there any good websites that you could recommend that could assist? I wouldn't go near a Windows PC with a Celeron, but it sounds like it handles Chrome with ease. Decisions decisions

Thank you!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the i5, i7 processors but the Celeron is more than fine for ChromeOS. Rockchip I don't know enough about but the reviews of the Asus Flip were good - but they also weren't commenting on running Android Apps so that's a valid concern.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, Chromebooks performance between devices is commonly compared by their Octane 2.0 score... Certain Celeron processors are more powerful than others - I chose a Chromebook with a 3205U specifically because of its higher Octane score, and it performs beautifully. I haven't used a rocketchip device, but given their relatively low Octane score, there are higher scoring processors for the same money.

Here is a chart that compares: Chromebook specs & performance comparison chart (2016)

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
From what I understand, Chromebooks performance between devices is commonly compared by their Octane 2.0 score... Certain Celeron processors are more powerful than others - I chose a Chromebook with a 3205U specifically because of its higher Octane score, and it performs beautifully. I haven't used a rocketchip device, but given their relatively low Octane score, there are higher scoring processors for the same money.

Here is a chart that compares: Chromebook specs & performance comparison chart (2016)

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Chromebook and a Chromebox both with Celeron CPUs. The difference is 2 vs 4 GB of RAM. The Chromebox has the 4, and it tends to run a little better. I would say get the highest RAM you can.

I would also suggest waiting a little bit before pulling the trigger on a new unit. New models should be coming out soon.

ReKa 7O31

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
I currently have the Asus Chrombook with the rockchip CPU. It runs all google play apps fine (Besides the games with a lot of memory usage). Other than that it's capable of pretty any app in the Play Store.

skelms

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Is the touchscreen responsive when using android apps? Is it comparable to a phone or tablet responsiveness. Just curious