Text messages on Chromebook

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Will I be able to use a Chromebook for text messaging when Android apps will be available for Chromebooks Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. You still need a valid SIM card and number with texting capabilities for that, regardless of the app.

HOWEVER, you can do the following (even without Android apps):
1) Use a Google Voice number and make/receive calls and texts from basically anywhere you have access to a web browser (or the apps, of course).
2) Use a service like PushBullet or MightyText to forward the texts from your phone to your computer and be able to view them and reply to them from a browser.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I pine for the ability to receive text messages on my Windows 10 or Chromebook as well.

Perhaps the new Allo app will provide that capability.

Have to hand it to Apple -- their Imessage is pretty sweet...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Their iMessage is just like a Facebook Messenger or Hangouts... the part that they did right (and wrong, because a lot of people can't tell the two appart) is seamlessly merging that with SMS/MMS. Problem is you still need a valid phone with a valid SIM for iMessage to work with SMS. Allo won't be any different. Only VoIP services, like Google Voice or Skype Out, let you text from any device without the need for a phone with a SIM card.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Their iMessage is just like a Facebook Messenger or Hangouts... the part that they did right (and wrong, because a lot of people can't tell the two appart) is seamlessly merging that with SMS/MMS. Problem is you still need a valid phone with a valid SIM for iMessage to work with SMS. Allo won't be any different. Only VoIP services, like Google Voice or Skype Out, let you text from any device without the need for a phone with a SIM card.

In my opinion, Apple got it right! I used to be on IOS, prior to Android. And I also had a Ipad. Folks could text me on my Iphone, my Iphone could be turned off, and I would still receive and be able to respond on my Ipad -- and my Ipad was WIFI only meaning not cellular.

Hey I don't mind that it was all tied to a cellular number....If I want to message folks that don't have phones I'll send them an email!

And it didn't have a huge clunky interface with all kinds of crazy extras and social media hookups and require other folks that wanted to communicate with me to have a specific app. Folks with dumb old phones (non smart) could also send and receive texts from my Ipad.

I never tried it from a Mac (I use Windows computers) but I would imagine it would have worked the same way.

And I didn't have to pay for extra hardware or a monthly fee to to this.

Hey, Android folks love to bash Apple and vice versa. But if there is one thing the Apple guys got right (and there are many things they do well) it's the Imesage.

I hope the new Allo has the same functionality. But I'm not holding my breath...

I'm not sure if Facebook or Hangouts has the same functionality. But I try to minimize my interaction with Facebook and I really don't want my texts comingled with all their social media crap. Nor do I really want to share my phones address book with Facebook. And Hangouts is just too confusing....

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I agree, the iMessage system is way better than anything out there. The only thing that they 'messed up' is making it clear how it worked. Most people think that iMessage is 'normal' texting...and it's not. It's an IM app, just like any other, except it ties to your SMS/MMS on APPLE'S side (the closest thing to this we have on Android is Google Voice). And that's why so many people have issues when either messaging non-iUsers or switching from iOS to any other system with the same number: if Apple's servers don't de-register properly, they'll still 'think' you're on iMessage and it'll try to 'skip' SMS/MMS and use normal IMs. The only way you can get those IMs are if you do have iMessage (just like people sending you a message through Messenger wouldn't be able to contact you if you don't have the app or have not opened your Facebook page).

Also, you do realize that you ARE sharing your phonebook with Apple, right? It's not as 'demonized' as Facebook, but they're no saints. How else do you think they 'know' which of your contacts use iMessage and which are text-only?

As for Hangouts, yeah, it's gotten really bad since they started splitting apps and adding so many similar apps. Hope Allo comes to fix that, or at least keep everything in a single app.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Also, you do realize that you ARE sharing your phonebook with Apple, right? It's not as 'demonized' as Facebook, but they're no saints. How else do you think they 'know' which of your contacts use iMessage and which are text-only?

Yes, I do know that I am sharing my contact list with Apple. Out of The Big Three, I think Apple arguably "snoops" the least, then Microsoft, and finally Google.

I bought into the Google ecosystem reluctantly last December when I purchased my first Android phone. I use outlook.com as my email (not gmail) and I DO NOT currently share my phone contacts with Google. Should Allo work like Imessage or Google comes out with something similar, then I will have to make that decision.

I'm not paranoid about Google. Anyone on the internet or with a smartphone is subject to being "snooped" or "hacked." If Google came out something that worked as slick as Imessage I would more than likely sign on and link my phone contacts to it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It will. Allo will link to your phone number and use your phonebook to 'detect' other Allo users, just like iMessage or Whatsapp or Viber and the rest that use the phone number as your ID.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, but the beauty of Imessage is I could text NON APPLE PHONES from my wifi Ipad. Even when my phone was off.

Will Allo do that???? And will I be able to that from a Windows computer with a Windows 10 app or Chrome Browser (prefer Windows app, but will settle for Chrome Browser???

And will I be able to receive texts on my Windows 10 computer when my phone is turned off -- either Windows 10 App or Chrome Browser???

That's what I mean my Imessage type functionality.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if Allo would do that, but Google Voice already does... and in non-manufacturer-specific hardware, unlike Apple's. You can do it via an app or browser anywhere. iMessage does the SMS/MMS sending/receiving on their end and then sends it back to your iMessage client via IM. That's why it works, and that's similar to how Google Voice works (but in the case of Google Voice, you get the number directly from Google, not the carrier).

As for a Windows 10 app, I wouldn't be sure because of how apathetic devs are to that platform lately, but at least you will be able to use it in a browser.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if Allo would do that, but Google Voice already does... and in non-manufacturer-specific hardware, unlike Apple's. You can do it via an app or browser anywhere. iMessage does the SMS/MMS sending/receiving on their end and then sends it back to your iMessage client via IM. That's why it works, and that's similar to how Google Voice works (but in the case of Google Voice, you get the number directly from Google, not the carrier).

As for a Windows 10 app, I wouldn't be sure because of how apathetic devs are to that platform lately, but at least you will be able to use it in a browser.

Yeah, I would be surprised to see a Windows 10 app, however, I would be OK if I could message from a Chrome browser. Hopefully Allo will work more like Imessage so that I can send/receive messages from wifi Android, Chromebook, and hopefully Windows 10 with Chrome browser. I really don't want to go all in with Google Voice. Thanks for the explanations and clarifications.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In the meantime you can try MightyText. You still need to have your phone on, though, but you don't need to be in front of the phone, and you can text from tablets, computer, or any browser.

Curtis Murphy

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
If you live in the US you can use Google voice in conjunction with Hangouts an get that exact functionality already. If you are not in the US than there is no solution currently unfortunately.. I know, I'm Canadian.

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I use the chrome extension push bullet, works great I can text from my chromebook using my cell number

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Is Verizon still the only carrier letting people text without their phone? I can make phone calls from my Tab S2, and I can text from Windows 10 and Android tablets. My phone doesn't need to be on, works as nicely as iMessage does for Apple. It's been this way since 2014, thought other carriers would catch up and make this standard already.

Actually since it works from a web browser as well, I'm guessing it would work on Chrome OS as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Will I be able to use a Chromebook for text messaging when Android apps will be available for Chromebooks Thanks.
You can do it now even if you don't yet have the play store with the pushbullet extension, that's what's I've been using works great and it links to your phone so every text you get shows up on your computer and you can also initiate a text from your chromebook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12