Can I use Chromebook "like" a Desktop PC (monitor, keyboard "&" Notifications?)

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Can I use Chromebook "like" a Desktop PC (monitor, keyboard "&" Notifications?)

Hi. Thanks for the forum !!!

I really want to replace my PC, and I find Android too painfully slow to run a dozen tabs. (I run 6+ regularly) and my computer is on almost all day. Also don't want a super hot device, which cheap Win10 devices do, and I just don't want more MicrosoftOS.

I need something perfectly quiet/fanless, so a Chrome is perfect. (my new nano fanless computer would be ok but it's acting strange and I can't bother with it).

And now that many Chromies will have Android, I can also use MS Word Free and Offline.

I don't game or install progs, I'm a writer so spend all my time either:
In Word, on Youtube or in Forums.

I "want" to use the Chromebook as the "tower", plug a monitor into it and keyboard and just run it close-lid for most of the day.

I "hope" to be able to receive EMAIL Notification while using AND while away (if the device goes to sleep/docked? still learning terms).
(did Lucid Sleep ever become a reality?)

I'm getting MIXED info... Some saying you CAN'T do it, some saying I've done this...
Some say you can not receive Email Notification while in Sleep Mode/Dock.
Some say use an extension to Keep Awake, and then an extension to receive Notifications. But this worries me, because not going to Sleep means it could get hot, it could continue access the SSD (reducing it's life).

IS ANYONE USING A CHROMEBOOK AS A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT in this (or some related) way?

I do not want a ChromeBOX...mainly because they all have FANS, and I'm told you'd still need an extension to keep awake.

Any help is appreciated ! I NEED to buy something VERY soon, but can't afford another mess-up if this won't work.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I use Chromebook "like" a Desktop PC (monitor, keyboard "&" Notifications?)

Welcome to Android Central! As you mentioned, you can use the Keep Awake extension to prevent it from sleeping.

I'm not sure what you mean by email notifications while in Sleep. Are you talking about audible notifications? If the device is asleep, and then you wake it up, you can set it up to give you notifications of any emails you received while it was asleep (by using an extension like Checker Plus for Gmail.

Chromebooks use relatively little power, especially if idle, so it wouldn't get hot.

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can I use Chromebook "like" a Desktop PC (monitor, keyboard "&" Notifications?)

Hi B.Biddy

Sorry, my terminology is still a bit confused.

I understand a Chromebook goes to Sleep Mode when the lid is closed, BUT if connected to a TV, then it's Docked mode and does it then go to sleep or stay awake?

If your Chrome is Docked (connected to a TV with the lid-closed), then can you get Audible Email Notifications when you receive email ? or do you still drop internet connection? (assuming the Chrome will Still go to Sleep while in Dock mode)

Is there a way to still get Audible Email notification while the Chrome is docked to a TV with the lid closed but not in use?

See, I don't understand if the Chrome goes to Sleep while Docked. And regardless, if you will get Audible Email Notification either way ?

My computer and my Android, even when it enters Sleep, give me audible Email Notification.

((I'm hoping going Chromebook as my primary/only PC isn't too much hassle, as I really want the fanless, and no bloat non-MS system. Everything I do is usually online, and like I say, with Android Apps coming, I'll even have Office Offline.....

Only thing missing is an actual Screenwriting program to use.......

Ro Vyas

Dec 19, 2017
Visit site

Hi. Thanks for the forum !!!

I really want to replace my PC, and I find Android too painfully slow to run a dozen tabs. (I run 6+ regularly) and my computer is on almost all day. Also don't want a super hot device, which cheap Win10 devices do, and I just don't want more MicrosoftOS.

I need something perfectly quiet/fanless, so a Chrome is perfect. (my new nano fanless computer would be ok but it's acting strange and I can't bother with it).

And now that many Chromies will have Android, I can also use MS Word Free and Offline.

I don't game or install progs, I'm a writer so spend all my time either:
In Word, on Youtube or in Forums.

I "want" to use the Chromebook as the "tower", plug a monitor into it and keyboard and just run it close-lid for most of the day.

I "hope" to be able to receive EMAIL Notification while using AND while away (if the device goes to sleep/docked? still learning terms).
(did Lucid Sleep ever become a reality?)

I'm getting MIXED info... Some saying you CAN'T do it, some saying I've done this...
Some say you can not receive Email Notification while in Sleep Mode/Dock.
Some say use an extension to Keep Awake, and then an extension to receive Notifications. But this worries me, because not going to Sleep means it could get hot, it could continue access the SSD (reducing it's life).

IS ANYONE USING A CHROMEBOOK AS A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT in this (or some related) way?

I do not want a ChromeBOX...mainly because they all have FANS, and I'm told you'd still need an extension to keep awake.

Any help is appreciated ! I NEED to buy something VERY soon, but can't afford another mess-up if this won't work.

Thanks

Okay, I was using my Chromebook Acer R11 as a desktop replacement for almost a year. I plugged the Chromebook into the monitor via HDMI, then set up the mouse and keyboard, and a USB from my printer had it charging. Also, there aren't enough USB ports, so I had a 1 to 5 USB adapter, and they are very cheap. When I needed to disconnect, I took out the USB adapter, the HDMI, and the AC Power adapter. The Chromebook's screen served a second display of the extended desktop. If you to use a sole display, just go to settings and turn off the "sleep when close lid" feature. Problem solved! I have used this for almost a year, until I got my desktop.