Model Suggestion ?? Running out of Time & 1st Option is Gone !!! Help!!

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
So, I'm trying to order a Chromebook, on sale, in time for Christmas (yeah 1-2 days left to order where I am).

Planned on getting an Acer R11 (CB5-132T), but, it's Bilingual, so, it seems it has extra French Characters on the Keyboard. As a writer, I really don't want extra stuff messing me up (means either other English buttons are gone, or must learn a different way to use buttons with extra characters)... So, rather not. (also means more memory used up in support which I could use).

My main considerations are this:

* 4GB Ram (must)
* 32GB SSD (really want 32 instead of 16 so I can download Android apps)
* Android Apps Enabled (mainly MS Office, some productivity, not games)
* Fast Processor -- "Real World" fast for Multiple web-tabs (6+) and vids open without lag or white-pages, and word-processing: N3150 in the CB5 was Quad core !! Though I know sometimes a faster dual chip is better (handles single threads better sometimes) Main CPU I'm looking at besides 3150 is the N3060 dual (just because it's a newer dual). And no, don't want the expensive Intel i3 options.
* Long battery life

* Not Decided but leaning Heavy towards Touchscreen (360 degree hinge)
* Screen Size... I'm open, 11.6" or 13.3" (likely going to use it with an external monitor most of the time, and if not, it seems my eyes are comfortable with 11-13)

Anyone got some hands on experience with some ideas???
This will become my Primary Computer.

Thanks for any helps
jim

Last edited:

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
heya... it's listed as in stock, but that is actually same specs as a Lenovo N22 (new F001 model), but Lenovo is $150 Less and has 4 Hours more battery.

I'm really trying to find a 32GB model. And a zippy multi-tasking response. Lenovo I'm drawn to but read some "it's a toy" reviews... I can't do a hands on to find out.

WEIRD EXPERIENCE TODAY.... so I was in the store looking at our ONLY 2 models on display...
Asus C202SA, and the Acer CB3 131 (both 2GB models, not 4) but wanted to try the 11.6 screen size for my needs, and check the keyboards.
ASUS had a nice soft hue, very clear warm screen, while same page on the Acer CB3 was almost greyed out and very sharp/bright.
And there's no way to adjust coloring on these.
Sound normal?
I mean I REALLLY liked the Asus Keyboard and screen image, but, my best price difference is still $100 more than a Lenovo with same specs. (but I can't compare the keyboard responsiveness or the color quality of the screen)

I'm almost screwed out of being able to get one in time now...

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been very happy with the Acer R13. I found the R11 to be underpowered. The R13 needs to be put on the beta channel for Android Apps though. At least for now.

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
thanks 2000
i cant find the R13 in canada
am i wrong or isnt that the model with no sd-slot? or is that the HP13 ?

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Im looking for it, no luck.

Anyone familiar with the Lenovo N22 (the new N3060 model) ? that can say what they keyboard and screen are like?
I LOVE the Asus C200 series screen, almost a little blue-warm, but crystal clear and not sharp/bright. And they keyboard almost feels like a carbon-fiber type tough/stiff base with close fitting clicky Keys.

The Acer CB3-131 screen was very bright/sharp even turned down, and the color was mute, on the one app, the background was washed out grey.

I can't get my hands on the Lenovo to try, that or the HP 11 G4 or 13 or Acer 13 models

I DID discover the Bilingual keyboards just have a couple extra symbols on the symbol keys, nothing on the Alphabet, so it's an option to get the Acer CB5-132T now with the N3160 CPU, but, at $150 more than Lenovo, I'd only use the extra 16GB Storage and not the Touchscreen.

An HP11 G4 has 32GB and good price, but... lower battery and concerning me... an N2840 CPU. The other models I'm looking at have N3060... 3060 is a much slower speed but has 2X the L2 cache, so... which would perform a dozen web-tabs better?

Thats my main problem--- REAL WORLD functional difference between N2840, N3050, N3060, 3205U (with larger cache)

I just don't know and cant handle to know any better.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I stick with the Intel CPUs that have the U at the end (i.e., Broadwell 3205U). The Google Octane score for Chromebooks with that CPU is around 13000, while the Bay Trail (N2840/2940) and Braswell (N3050/3060) yield an Octane score of around 8000. Granted, these don't always reflect real world performance, but they're the most commonly used objective performance measurements, so it is one way to compare them. The tradeoff, though, is battery life -- you probably get at least a couple of hours more out of the Nxxxx CPUs than with the xxxxU CPUs.

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Diddy-

So it is true then, for doing things like having many Tabs open at once while working on a document and a Youtube Vid in the background, a faster dual core (ending in U) is likely to outperform comfortably a slower quad core (like N3160, or other duals like Nxxxx)?

It's a little tougher here to get the U models, typically about $70 more or so, but worth it?

One concern...I';m reading the "U" models have Fans.... I "need" to be fanless.

(i was really leaning towards the Asus C line because of the nice screen and top keyboard, but they have the n3060 mainly, as does the Lenovo n22 I was looking at)

I'll check available models again.
Thanks for the help 8)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wish I was able to compare Broadwell and Bay Trail units side by side, but I don't have any of the latter. But you're correct, the Broadwells have a fan, so I guess that's out. (The fans are very small and quiet, for what it's worth.)

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Thankfully, on a chrome there doesn't seem to be a big real world difference between the N or U... small blessing for cheap purchase (grin), On these it seems to be very personal and subjective..making it even more difficult.

Sadly most of the sites now can't ship before Christmas, and my availability is horrible pricewise... even an Asus C300SA will cost $350+tax

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks
After the $70 in shipping and tax, plus any brokerage, etc... same issue, then no easy return solution if issues.
B&H in the US has free shipping to Canada, and the price is like $70 less than here new... only prob is it's too late now for before Christmas..

Think I'm sunk for Christmas.

ANYONE able to hands-on compare the Lenovo N22 with an Asus? Asus c202sa, c300....
If they were very similar in Keyboard and Screen quality and display, I'd jump the Lenovo as it's only $199CAN, I'm just afraid I'll see the same difference between the Acer CB3 131... almost same specs, but WOW, screen and keyboard quality of the Acer was noticable subpar compared to the Asus (would I have noticed without a comparison, I don't know... but know I know....)

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Found a local place to order online both Asus C202SA and Lenovo N22
They are pretty much my only options.
Asus C300 or 301, but I'd rather an N3060 than N3160--- I know Quad is better, but the Dual has better Octane results.

This way I can test them

jgb7

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
It's Done !

Only drawback... Dec 23 AND Jan 12th are the EDT, ahhhhhhh, I'm so impatient !
But this way, I can walk one of them back without hassle, and if mine has any problems, locally taken care of, no distance shipping.

Thanks for the helps !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress