Screen Display Hosed - Is it Screen or Graphics Card Failure?

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have an Acer Chromebook, my screen/display is showing banded coloring. It will occasionally clear up and then go back with color banding. Pressing around the screen bezel gets the display to flicker and sometimes momentarily correct itself. I've powered the unit off as well.

I think it's the screen, which if it is I can easily swap out. But then I thought it may be the graphics display which is not as simple and I might as well chuck the unit in the garbage. If I do a screen capture the image looks fine, so that's leading me to believe it's the screen but I thought I'd reach out to others here for input.

Here's a picture of the screen:
20170412_135202.jpg

And here's a screen capture (which looks fine):
Android Central   Android Forums  News  Reviews  Help and Android Wallpapers.jpeg

I have also plugged external monitor into HDMI port on Chromebook and display is fine on external monitor, so still leading me to believe that replacing the screen is solution. Thoughts?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Pressing around the screen bezel gets the display to flicker and sometimes momentarily correct itself" says it's the screen.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Dropped $55 for replacement screen panel and Chromebook is now working fine. Sure beats buying a new Chromebook.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Could be the screen but from your description it could also be a more likely situation, the ribbon cable that goes between the motherboard and the screen either needs to be replaced or hopefully just needs to be re-seated. The cheapest thing to try first is re-seating the connector end, if it just worked its way loose than that saves you the cost of a new cable or a new display. Not knowing just which model Chromebook you have, just as an example here's a guide for an Acer 11.6" model, see step 3:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Acer+Chromebook+CB3-111-C670+Screen+Replacement/56651

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I had checked the connection, unseated and reseated it prior to ordering replacement screen. It unfortunately wasn't the problem. Replacement screen plugged right in and all is working fine once again.