Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Make a ChromiumBook for free!

I've been running a custom made Chromebook using one of Hexxeh's Chromium builds on my e-machines em250 for the last month. I'm really loving it so far. It's easy to install, just download, flash to thumbdrive, boot, single terminal command to copy to hard drive. Great synergy with my Nexus S 4G. The two really are great companion devices.

I think we need another forum section for homemade ChromiumBooks!

I have to say, ChromeOS is great!

You can get the Chromium install here: Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh

Use the most recent nightly build.

Update: Here's the very detailed and easy-to-use step-by-step guide I used. It includes links to the chromium nightly builds and the linux terminal commands needed to copy the OS from the flash drive to the hard drive. http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-os-chromebook

Update: Here's the guide for duel-booting. I have not tried this myself: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/wiki/doku.php?id=multiboot
    Last edited by craigwann; 06-27-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,037 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Default Re: Make a ChromiumBook for free!

Can this be set up to dual boot?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

I was going to do this, but then my CR 48 came.

I do agree that ChrOS matches the nexus well though.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The short answer is yes, you certainly can duel boot, but it's going to take a little linux experience. I think it would be well worth your time, but just a warning: anytime you create a custom boot, be prepared for the chance you might lose your current OS. Always backup before repartitioning.

Here's the guide: multiboot [Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh]

Good luck!!!

Global Posts
    1,037 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Thanks

Sent from my Ubuntdoid 5.1 Intercept via Tapatalk
    "Something inspirational" ~ Some smart dude
    Hit the "Thanks" button

ROM
    MeanROM ICS; may change

Quote Originally Posted by craigwann View Post
    The short answer is yes, you certainly can duel boot, but it's going to take a little linux experience. I think it would be well worth your time, but just a warning: anytime you create a custom boot, be prepared for the chance you might lose your current OS. Always backup before repartitioning.

Here's the guide: multiboot [Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh]

Good luck!!!
    How do you do a backup? I have a Windows 7 PC that I'd like to set up for dual boot. I don't really have any Linux experience (apart from rooting and flashing my Android phone, of course). I've been dreaming of doing this over a weekend, and I feel ready to take the plunge.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums