Motorola Keylink not staying connected

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a Motorola Keylink last week. I mostly just wanted it to use as a trusted device so I didn't have to enter my PIN when its around.

The problem is it doesn't stay connected half the time. So far I can't see why will it will disconnect and other times it stays connected for hours.

Anybody else having this problem? Maybe I don't understand how its suppose to work and it isn't suppose to always stay connected?

thanks,
Nate

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having any problems if I keep my keys in my pocket. I don't think I get 100 ft of range though. Blue tooth also seems to have problems with interference around a strong wifi signal. What phone are you using it with?

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a Moto X 2nd Gen. You're probably right about the range. I never get more than 20 feet away though.

Maybe I'll try disabling wifi and see if it helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I am also having issues with my Droid Turbo and the Keylink. It definitely does not get anywhere near 100ft if it's a range issue. It was about 20ft away, line of sight, and disconnected.

Dezolis

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Same here if my Nexus 6 goes to sleep for more than 10 minutes or so the connection seems to go to sleep as well and right now the keylink and the phone are less than 5 ft apart

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It's like the keylink shuts off and doesn't reconnect. Sometimes when I pick up my keys the keylink will make a sound like it's turning on. I never even touch the button.

Right now the keylink is pretty useless for me

Posted via Android Central App

ranphi

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm another user who's had issues with the Keylink often disconnecting from their phone (Moto X 2014). In fact, I've given up on it as of yesterday. I keep my phone in my right pants pocket and the Keylink in my left pants pocket and have pulled my phone out at different times of the day only to find it disconnected from the Keylink and the Keylink won't reconnect unless I go into the Motorola Connect app and wait a few seconds there for the stupid thing to finally realize it can see my phone and thus reconnect.

The convenience of the Keylink when it works is really nice but I've just had too many instances of the above, so I've given up on it and am going back to using the geofencing feature of Android 5.0 to designate trusted places for my phone.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
We've had excellent results with the Keylink on my wife's Moto G 2nd Gen, on 4.4.4, both as a key or phone locator and a trusted device, since I gave it to her for Christmas. It has been 100% reliable with that device, so far.

Based on that good experience, and since Google Play showed the Motorola Connect app as compatible with the device, and presumably with 5.0.I, I bought a second one, to use as a trusted device, with my HTC (M8) GPe, on 5.0.1, 1. Unfortunately, performance with that device has been unworkable. It connects, but it seems as soon as the phone goes idle, it disconnects again, making it pretty worthless as a trusted device. I had the same dismal results when I connected it to our Nexus 7 WiFi (2013). I swapped the keylinks and determined that they both work fine on the Moto G, so both of the Keylinks are fully functional.

At this point, I don't know if the problem is a conflict between the Connect app/Keylink combo against Lollipop 5.0.1, or an incompatibility with both of the non-Motorola devices, and I haven't found anything on the web to document the problem. I really don't understand why Motorola allows the app to be installed on those devices or on 5.0.1 if it won't work properly.

Last edited:

dotheDVDeed

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Another disappointed user. Nexus 5 running 5.0.1. Frequent Connecting-Disconnecting with annoying confirmation beeps.

It used to work okay but I think a recent OS upgrade messed something up with the Motorola Connect App.

I had it less than a month and have already gone through a watch battery already--it's supposed to last a year.

The Keylink goes into the night stand drawer until I get an update on the App.

Tim

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Alright, sounds like something with Android 5.0. Guess I'll just check on it every once in a while to see if something got fixed. Thanks everybody.

delilah567

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
A little late to the conversation, but was having trouble because my keylink doesn't stay connected either. So, I was searching trying to find solution to problem. Did not find anything yet, but I discovered that I have to turn off my keylink and back on to get it to connect back to the phone. I tested it leaving my phone in another room. I power it off and wait for flashing light to quit blinking and then push twice to set the finder in motion as directed. It worked, but found I had to immediately do this as soon as it quit flashing to show connection or it would be disconnected again. I still want to find a better solution but that does work.

DavidABurton

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
The problem is probably the battery. Mine was doing that, connecting and disconnecting from the phone, seemingly at random, and sometimes it would start beeping rapidly (about one beep every two-thirds second).

Sometimes the Motorola Connect Android app said "100%" but sometimes it said "8%" or "4%." There doesn't seem to be anything resembling a user manual for this device, but my guess is that is a battery indicator, and my other guess is that "100%" means "I don't know."

I'm also guessing that the rapid beeping means "low battery." Too bad Motorola didn't see fit to document any of this stuff.

I removed the battery and measured its voltage with no load: 2.85v. That's low for a lithium battery. A fresh battery should show at least 3.3v. So I replaced the battery, and now the KeyLink seems back to normal.

I only got a month or two of use from that battery, but it was a cheap eBay no-name battery, so that's probably why.

BTW, if you don't have a digital multimeter, I highly recommend the one I bought. It's a Victor VC921, which is being sold by dozens of sellers on eBay for under $13, shipped. It is auto-ranging (600V max), and very accurate. It folds up nicely into its own rugged hard-shell case. It has all the usual functions except current, plus it measures capacitance, and frequency/duty-cycle of AC. It shuts off automatically to save battery life. It runs apparently forever on a pair of AAA Alkaline cells (I bought it two years ago and it's still going strong). At $13, it's an amazing bargain, even if you only use it to find out whether your Keylink battery is flat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital