[Guide] All About Rooting: FAQ's & How To's

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried downloading the 'quickroot' file but my virus software caught a few files and aborted the download. Is this normal?

yes disable your protection, the rooting process uses something called an exploit which is similar to a trojan...but its safe as long at you are the one applying it

JaznGibzn

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried downloading the 'quickroot' file but my virus software caught a few files and aborted the download. Is this normal?

Yes. Either disable your AV or whitelist/allow the file. The reason it thinks its bad is because technically this IS an exploit. Its just one for the phone not ur PC. Most AV programs will provide a link explaining what it found. If you read what's there it will back up what I just said. So you don't have to trust me, trust the reports written by all the antivirus companies out there.

JaznGibzn

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
removing bloat: I am seeing several items that aren't listed above, and some of the stuff listed above (specifically, CityID, but plenty of others too) that are not there in /system/app on my phone. for example, instead of the long filename listed above for CityID, all I can find is i400_CityID.apk. similar: I400_MyVerizon.apk, i400_Tetris.apk, I400_VCastMusic.apk, and I400_VCastVideo.apk. yes, some of them have a capital I and some have lowercase.

One I'd like to rename/move but isn't mentioned above is FullbatPopup.apk and .odex. If I leave my phone set to "screen stay on while charging" then this popup causes my phone to turn on the screen while charging at night, and then stay on all night, lighting up the room (not to mention unnecessary usage of the screen - don't want anything to burn in on the amoled screen!)

has anyone else tried to remove/rename fullbatpopup? what about the facebook/myspace/twitter standalones and the craptastic BuddiesNow? or most of the stock samsung widgets like the extra clocks and all that?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
removing bloat: I am seeing several items that aren't listed above, and some of the stuff listed above (specifically, CityID, but plenty of others too) that are not there in /system/app on my phone. for example, instead of the long filename listed above for CityID, all I can find is i400_CityID.apk. similar: I400_MyVerizon.apk, i400_Tetris.apk, I400_VCastMusic.apk, and I400_VCastVideo.apk. yes, some of them have a capital I and some have lowercase.

One I'd like to rename/move but isn't mentioned above is FullbatPopup.apk and .odex. If I leave my phone set to "screen stay on while charging" then this popup causes my phone to turn on the screen while charging at night, and then stay on all night, lighting up the room (not to mention unnecessary usage of the screen - don't want anything to burn in on the amoled screen!)

has anyone else tried to remove/rename fullbatpopup? what about the facebook/myspace/twitter standalones and the craptastic BuddiesNow? or most of the stock samsung widgets like the extra clocks and all that?
I have not tried since i havent any phones anymore lol, but im sure imnuts and adrynalyne will have them removed from their versions of the roms

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
okay. i just picked up a Samsung Continuum through a friend who didn't use it anymore. I am excited to root this and play around. I just followed directions on how to root and get s-off and unlock the bootloader for my droid Incredible, and did most of it in Terminal on my Mac.

Question, which post do I follow for MAC, then? I am a little confused, as I didn't see Mac specific directions.

Can I use post #5 and just put "./" in front of every command line?

Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke